Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rubber valve stem, deep six?

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Geez...seems like it shouldn't be so complicated. Thanks Harvey! It was from memory. The store is 2 blocks away...I'm lucky to find my home now days.

In the end, to have them in hand looks to be only true confirmation of the right thing. Probably why mail order brides never caught on like anticipated.
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Quote Originally Posted by SD Swede View Post
    This may quell some of the, very valid, confusion on the Napa stems (readily available as of today). Napa part # "90-415" are the correct ones. However, there are 2 different sizes of the 90-415. The smaller are for a .412" valve stem hole and are, as many have found out, the wrong ones. The correct ones, and the confusing part, also have the same part # "90-415" but have a .625" valve stem hole. It's indicated on the outside of the package, and also on the Napa website. You have to remember to get the .625" ones and not just request/order by the part # alone. The first closest Napa I tried had 4 sets in stock at $2.45 a set, so I bought all. It looks like their website has them as well. Even the guy at the counter said, "This is stupid. Why do they have the same part number? 50/50 chance I sell someone the wrong thing!"
    I bought the same 90-415 0.625 Napa valve stems with the same bar code number as SD Swede is showing and they did not work with my non heart deep sixes.

I just went through this with my local tire shop and this thread was very helpful. As Harvey said earlier in the thread, NAPA must have changed the shape of their 90-415 valve stem because I bought a new pack at NAPA and they didn't work very well. Dill still makes a bulbous TR415 that's readily available. Search for Dill part number T-15-R. I took a chance at $0.38 a piece and ordered several based on the photos on Dill's website. The attached photo shows the Dill T-15-R on the left compared to the NAPA 90-415 on the right.

Here's the product page on Dill's website: http://dillaircontrols.com/dill/cate...n-tire-valves/
    Here's a distributor: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...-valve-dit15wz

Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold

Napa use to have two with same part number - slim and fat - possible they changed or you need to go to the retail store to confirm the fatty
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

These are getting harder and harder to find in most counties. Same product number, with different specifications. I know I am keeping all my spares.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Hi all, I am from Hong Kong and there is no NAPA store here for the bulgy TR415. Apparently, NAPA does not accept overseas order too through the web. I have no alternatives but to use tubeless tyres with tubes inside. This is not desirable and I very much wish to change to the valve option.

I notice that from Pelican Parts or Stoddard that they do have the following valves available which I could purchase and order from here in Hong Kong. However, do you think they work please?

SIC-900-415-00 Tire Valve Stem 1 1/4" Length-.625 rim holes, Schrader brand

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Vic. I'm flying to LA tomorrow. I can check out the local NAPA store for the correct 90-415 valves. Can buy you a set. I'm flying to Hong Kong early next month, staying in Wan Chai. If we can meet up I can give them to you. Let me know if I can help.
    Gary
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

deep spoke valve stems

I have pretty much given up on finding the correct 'fat' 415 valve stems for my deep spoke wheels. I'm lucky to have a good machinist near me so he was able to cut the wheel thickness down so that the new 'skinny' 415 stems will seat properly. I suspect Harvey does something similar, as I'm sure others do. This is what mine look like, if interested in using this method contact Aaron at Zim's Autotecknik.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    John,
    Not all 415s are the same. Some of the new replacement ones are less bulgy and won't stay in a unmodified valve stem hole. We seem to have more trouble finding the better fitting ones in the US. That is why we put a step in the valve stem hole. So the stems have a way to snap in.
    H
    Henry, which one of these valve stems is the correct profile, right or left?

Quote Originally Posted by dbleskey View Post
    Henry, which one of these valve stems is the correct profile, right or left?
    Left for unmodified wheels. You need the fat ones.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic