Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubber valve stem, deep six?

I got lucky this morning and found a local tire shop that had a small stash of the fat type 415!

Thanks

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Minneapolis
    Sorry to drag this up again but I have just dropped my deep sixes off at the tire store to be mounted and I am supplying them with the NAPA 90-415's that I thought would be the right stems - I somehow missed the "bulgy" comments and the ones I gave him are the newer, less bulgy ones. It seems that they will not work in an unmodified rim. Is there something new since this thread was last updated in 2009? I'd like to get them mounted and I doubt that my guy can mill a step into them like Harvey can. Mine were done by Al Reed and I don't think there is a step. Any suggestions now in 2015?
    Thanks all....

This is why it is becoming more and more important to pay attention to the little details when restoring our cars...
    Little things like not machining a wheel for valve stems can cause more grief than the big things.
    There are some inventive alternatives with available parts that I have seen. I am not able to get the photos or descriptions until after the Historics.
    Continue to look around at old tire shops, you still may find some bulgy ones.
    I have noticed even NAPA has changed their current stock. So even the marginal ones are drying up.

H

Thank you Harvey.... I take it that this means that I shouldn't even try it with these NAPA stems. I guess I need to find a wheel or machine shop to mill the "step" into the wheel...... Not going to be easy up here on the west coast of Canada, I don't think.

Hold up until I get back and you may be able use one of my alternatives.
    H

I think Napa still has the "Fat" 415's

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...415_0344221477
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

36 year PCA member
    How about the metal/rubber bolt in type?

Well, believe it or not my tire guy had any number of what looked exactly like the "bulgy" one on the left in the photo on page 1. He thought they were much too big to fit in the small hole in the Deep Six but I convinced him to give it a try and they pulled right into the hole and seated nicely. So, they are now mounted and I guess I'll keep an eye on them (the car is a few weeks away from being driven yet). If they fail, I wonder will they just leak slowly or will they blow right out of the wheel and cause a blowout??

Don't know,,,,never had any of mine to fail!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

never had a failure either - but if it might keep you up at night get inner tubes
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser