Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rubber valve stem, deep six?

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    never had a failure either - but if it might keep you up at night get inner tubes
    Why not use tubes? The pre '72 cars came with tubes from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbee View Post
    Why not use tubes? The pre '72 cars came with tubes from the factory.
    Not many new tires are made for tubes and the result is debated from many directions......
    The modern tubes don't fit the early stem hole or angle any better than the tubeless stem does.
    And clearly one has never installed a tube in a deep 6 wheel before that would recommend it.
    Installing a tube in a deep 6 makes a difficult job nearly impossible.
    When they were new, we supplied an extra tube with each set of tires and frequently, the mechanic came back for more tubes.
    In a pinch (pun intended) a tube will get you home but odds are you will destroy a tire or a tube .... or a finger installing the tube.
    The dealers switched to tubeless stems for deep 6s in 73 and never looked back.
    Modifying the wheel or finding a large 415 is the only reasonable solution. IMHO
    H

Well there you go - no more of an expert than Harvey - thread closed - fatTR415 is readily available and they work well - best of luck to you
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

So the question is where can fat TR415s be found? I recently bought some at Napa (now part # 90-415) and they don't fit. They are different than the set I bought 5 years ago.

Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Minneapolis
    I'm away from home for a few days but I'll go back to my shop and ask where he gets his supply from, and post some photos for everyone. These went in well and so far so good. Could become Canada/US free trade item - deep six bulgy valve stems! Sure to alter the GDP of both countries.....

Going through the same saga. Now waiting on delivery of my third lot of TR415's. The first two would not fit at all. These third lot are promised to fit. In the meantime, have fitted quality tubes.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

next time I go by my local Napa store I will see if they have the fat ones and take a picture and confirm part #
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    This may quell some of the, very valid, confusion on the Napa stems (readily available as of today). Napa part # "90-415" are the correct ones. However, there are 2 different sizes of the 90-415. The smaller are for a .412" valve stem hole and are, as many have found out, the wrong ones. The correct ones, and the confusing part, also have the same part # "90-415" but have a .625" valve stem hole. It's indicated on the outside of the package, and also on the Napa website. You have to remember to get the .625" ones and not just request/order by the part # alone. The first closest Napa I tried had 4 sets in stock at $2.45 a set, so I bought all. It looks like their website has them as well. Even the guy at the counter said, "This is stupid. Why do they have the same part number? 50/50 chance I sell someone the wrong thing!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Fantastic I copied the picture and will take it to napa. A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks Rob
    Registry #2507

1970 911T

The small diameter ones should have 413 on them.
    You found a stash of old inventory. Maybe there are more out there....
    The latest that I have ordered are the thin type that don't work even though they are .625.
    H