Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Paul Schooley for a great Porsche deal

Thanks Paul Schooley for a great Porsche deal

Last November I trained some owners of early 911s for the Winter Trial (both Arjen Bosman and Leonard Stolk were there amongst others) which got me hooked on the longhood 911. As the day progressed I knew I just wanted one myself. So with the help of some owners I found this forum and started reading about the longhood. Naturally, I also kept one eye at the For sale section and during the summer came across the ad of Paul Schooley in which he offered his black 911 T plus spare 911.
    I contacted Paul, but as an overseas buyer I was a bit cautious and didn't know where to go from there. Paul send me some pictures and from what he wrote about the car I got a good feeling about him as well. With the help of Arjen and Chris I knew what to look for and so I asked Paul to get me some pictures of possible weak spots and Paul just delivered and answered every question I fired at him. It all felt good so in the end we struck a deal and his 911 became mine. That is to say, depending on the cooperation of a good and trustworthy shipping company.
    The shipping itself only took 10 days, although from the moment Paul and I made the deal to the actual shipping took something like 3-4 weeks.
    The deal included the 911 T (which Paul described as a drivers car), most of the spare parts from the spare 911 (we left the rotted body in his garage as the roof seemed the only good part left on the car) and what Paul described as some magazines and books he had on the 911.
    Last Friday I picked the car up from the harbour and was amazed at all the work Paul had done and what he had included in the deal. Apart from the car there was a 4x4x7 feet wooden box loaded with a 2.2 and 2.7 litre spare engine, one gearbox, spare doors, hood, ducktail, a full set of Fuchs, RS front and rear bumper, what seemed like all the spare parts of the rotted 911, you name it. The magazines and books included the original Porsche workshop manual, Up-Fixen and both editions of Bruce Anderson's Porsche 911 Performance Handbook and behind the passenger seat Paul had a small gift for my 5 year old son, a GT1 scale model. I was really amazed by all these parts, books, magazines and even a gift for my son. Of course I was very happy to finally be able to drive my first 911 home, but I also realise how nice it was dealing with someone like Paul getting me started into Porsche ownership. Thanks to the shipping company I experienced some uncertain moments and amateurism one would never expect from a professional company, but Paul helped and handled it very well and never complained about all the hassle this deal threw upon him. I have got to know him as a very generous and honoust person and just wanted to share this with you on this forum.

Thanks Paul and you know we will go out in it whenever you're overhere.

John

Pictures of the car in question, the box with goodies, Chris who was a big help, the car at its new home and some interesting literature
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Paul is a good guy. I have never met him, but he checked out a car for me a few years ago in Buffalo, NY. Never asked me for anything i return and gave me a very thorough walk thru of the car I was thinking of buying. Paul, I hope this is not your last early 911 car and that you have something else up your sleeve. Best of Luck....

I thought I'd share some of my first ramblings I sent to Paul after having driven the car home some 155 miles.

After having paid for the unloading and customs I was finally going to see the car for real. Wait... the guys at the terminal were at lunch!!! They left us standing outside for 45 minutes. I can assure you that is very annoying knowing your car is at the other side of the brick wall.
    Finally I was allowed in and saw my little black friend waiting in the warehouse. I turned the ignition, pumped the accelerator three times, pressed it halfway and it started right away. I am sure you can imagine what it sounded like in this large warehouse. Even the guy was grinning. He took the HUGE parts box and loaded it on the trailer and after I put in 95 unleaded we headed for Chris' house to drop him of. As we weren't sure if the box was safe on the trailer I decided to drive the Ford first and let Chris drive the 911 to his house. We decided to leave the box at Chris' and take all the spare parts we could carry in the Ford out of the box. My brother drove the Ford and I switched to the Porsche.
    What a nice sound it makes. Really purposeful, racy. The car feels nice and strong, not like a 38 year old car. And it is quick even for today's standards. When you accelerate away the carbs need to clear their throad first and then it revs cleanly with a nice strong push in the back. People around you really seem to appreciate it as I saw many thumbs up and smiles around me. And no this wasn't me being on cloud nine. At the motorway I settled at 3,400 rpm which is about 75 mph for the ride home and enjoyed the occassional (small) burst of acceleration, listening for every little sound coming from the engine bay and constantly checking all the dials. Oil pressure was slightly above 60, oil was around 6 most of the time and I kept the revs around 3,400. The car splitters while accelerating and bangs when you lift the accelerator (sounds nice that).

When I arrived home my wife was at the swimming pool with Nick (5 year old son), so I drove there as well to wait for him to come outside. You should have seen his face. He had been telling to everyone his dad was picking up his Porsche today and now I was there with the car. Naturally, he switched from my wife's car into the Porsche and we took the long way home. He just loved the sound and to him it was like a racing Porsche. On a nice section of corners I drifted the car through the corners and to him that was magic. This 911 is THE car.

John

Great story John! Thanks for sharing!!

All the best!
    Sharon
    Sharonkerry
    Eng - '73.5 911T Coupe - Light Yellow
    '12 VW GTI Midnight Blue Metalic
    S Reg #1036

Casual Ts #2

Nice pics John. The lil black beastie looks right at home on your side of the pond. It was an adventure bringing this deal to fruition but from the look on your face () in the pictures I'd say you're off to a good start in the world of Porsche ownership.
    Until I can resolve a life altering health issue I'm afraid I have to sit on the sidelines and live vicariously through all you crazy Porsche nuts but I'm quite sure you folks won't disappoint.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley View Post
    Until I can resolve a life altering health issue I'm afraid I have to sit on the sidelines and live vicariously through all you crazy Porsche nuts but I'm quite sure you folks won't disappoint.
    Best of luck to you Paul!!

It is very refreshing to hear the good stories as opposed to all the bad that is out there. Thanks to John for sharing and welcome.
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

Thanks Paul Schooley for a great Porsche deal

Paul I wish you all the best in 'resolving your health issue' and you have shown that 'real' Porsche people do take care of each other.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This is the type of story I like to read, for a change.

All the best to Paul, you are a true "Caballero" as we say around here.
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

Fantastic story! My best to Paul. My congrats to John.

My guess is the car did not go to the British Isles. Steering wheel in the truck is LHD and the car is parked on the RH side of the road. So, where?

where?

Zeke, here's a clue:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    early s registry #661
    r-gruppe # 604