Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas smell

Gas smell

Hi All - ok so I know owning a carb car will have some gas smell but when I asked some of my fellow friends they indicted that there should not be any gas smell in the cabin. Is this true? If not then where would these leaks trace to?

- Engine fuel lines have been replaced
    - Carbs have been rebuilt

Maybe the gas line from the tank to the rear? The heater line has a crack?

Thanks for the help.

There are lots of places in the trunk, and under the trunk near the steering rack, for fuel leaks. Take a look at the blow up view of the fuel system here, and see whether any of the soft spots are leaking in your car: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...73_KATALOG.pdf
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I had that problem - it was a crack in the vapor "bottle" that is under the cowel on the drivers side - you have to remove the cover at the rear of the trunk - follow the hoses.

This post

http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=219291

over on the 912 Board has a diagram out of PET. Part #47 is the device I am talking about.
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

Thanks Tom and Don. I'll take a look at all the lines under the trunk.

Ed

available parts

I would like to replace ALL parts and lines regarding the vapor recovery system.

Are parts 47 (charcoal box) and 49 (plastic tees) and hoses available for purchase?

Where can I purchase hose only?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

I just talked to Parts Heaven and they have most (if not all) the parts in stock. I'm going to just replace all the tubes since they are all 40yrs old.

As far as hoses only - any local auto parts shop will have them. Just make sure you buy enough length to cover all the hoses and bring a sample with you.

Step 1 is to replace the gas cap and its seal with a new one.
    Both the seal and the spring go soggy over the course of time.
    Then follow the advice above !

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Then again, you can just eliminate the charcoal cannister altogether...I have a carb car and took that path. No problems.
    Jim Murray
    RGruppe Chaptermeister, #372
    Early S Registry, #886
    '71 911

On a 69, is is NOT a carbon canister. It is a canister that will allow vapors to pass but not small amounts of liquid. The outlet is higher then the inlet.
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

Update:

So I got a chance to check all gas related items in the trunk including the vapor box and heater vents, so far I didn't detect any leaks or cracks but thats not to say they are not present since some of the clear "soft" hoses are now super hard. The following are the items I checked:

- Vapor box including both hoses connected.
    - Gas cap - it is worn and will need to replace.
    - Filler neck. Didn't see any cracks.
    - Short rubber hose that connects filler neck to tank.
    - Open up the smugglers box and remove rubber cover to smell the tunnel - no gas smell. I'm assuming this is one of the areas to check.

Did not check:

- Both hoses coming out of the lower side of tank. I assume the smell would be coming from inside the trunk and not outside?

I did notice that the front window defroster (both) has gaps where vapors from the trunk can just pass through to the cabin - is that normal?

Drove the car today and still has smell - maybe this is the "normal" carb smell. My shirt always has a light smell of gas after driving.

Thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Ed