Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sad passing…

Post A sad passing…

I learned yesterday through our community of the passing of Craig Stevenson, one of the founding members of the ‘new’, 1995 California based, Early 911S Registry.

Fourteen years ago this month Craig Stevenson, Ted Mumm, and Fred Stewart stepped up to take over the Registry from our club’s founders Vern and Betsi Lyle in West Port Pennsylvania. Ted was the writer/editor of the ESSES, Fred the treasurer and meeting leader, and Craig the membership and activities chairman…. But Craig was more; he was the greeter, motivator, and instigator for most all of the Registry’s early California activities and publicity. The Registry’s membership mailing address was Craig’s Newport Beach P.O. Box for years. … And it was Craig who got so many of us local Southern California guys interested and into our club in the first place…

It was members like Craig, Ted, and Fred that helped make our Registry what it is today… and we’re very grateful…

R.I.P.

Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Craig Stevenson

I remember Craig.

Great guy. Great story-teller . . . with lots to tell. Good companion, too; soft-spoken, easy-going. And real generous; gave me a set of spotless Super90 air-cleaners for Christmas once. (The look on my wife's face when I opened that box . . . !)

Knew his Porsches, too. Best guy to take to a swap-meet --- could pick the pearls out of the poop, with just a glance. Owned some amazing cars in his time. Back when The S Registry was first getting started, he'd bought this beautiful, original, unrestored Ivory '67 'S.' I thought he was nuts . . . but look where I am now!

And that wild Carrera (as in four-cam)-powered Roadster he had, the silver one --- with an oil cooler from a helicopter in the nose!

Lost touch with him when we moved up North. Been looking for him, at all the shows, since we got back.

Too late.

Life is too short.

Vaya con Dios, my friend.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

I was pretty stunned when I found out yesterday. I got a call from Gary Emory and we had just been talking the day before about the passing of Don Marks...

As Gary mentioned, Craig was an old timer.. I can remember going by Craigs in the 80's checking out the great restorations he was was doing and just to BS.
    I clearly remember 1992, just the 2 of us were in a pit area in Monterey just sitting and drinking and Craig was telling stories, and we were surrounded by the most incredible machinery.

Another time I remember when he had just met Pam, and she was coming down to visit him...and he was trying to figure out how to get his bachelor pad cleaned up, I was sitting in the living of his place just thinking "there's no way!"...

He was very generous with his time, and would always share his knowledge with those who would ask.

I'll miss him....

Rest in peace Craig..

Eric

Craig urged me to attend the Monterey Historics in '98 after I purchased my '72S. That's where I met Chuck and many other members who have become friends here and in R Gruppe. He also did the PPI on my '72T. Cris Huergas and I were just telling stories about Craig at Monterey this year. He died too young.

RIP
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I met and knew Craig through Pam in a backwards sort of way.. I had posted here that I would be working the Champ Car race at Long Beach, Craig responded and we determined that Pam was a common friend. Pam was the proud owner of her 911s up here in MT before moving to LA and then Vegas with Craig. Great guy, full of knowledge and always helpfull to me. My condolences to the family.. Bob

Latest contact info I had if you wish to pass on a card or note:

Dark Horse Racing Safety, Inc.
    7005 Speedway Blvd, Building F 104
    Las Vegas, NV 89115
    Call first before you go:
    Craig Stevenson, Manager (702) 326-0718
    Pam Perkins, Owner (702) 372-8415
    Office and Shop (702) 644-6994
    www.darkhorseracingsafety.com
    darkhorse@ttlv.com
    Phone/Fax: (702) 644-6994
    Tollfree: (866) 208-1385
    See the directions on their website.
    Bob Petitt
    1967 911S Coupe 307653S, my barn find - 55,000 miles Looking for engine #961269 and trans 901/02 #104337
    1971 911T Coupe 9111120264, my first 911 back in my garage
    1972 BMW 2002, my first car - 350,000 miles and counting
    1972 911T Coupe 9112100970, Sporto, parted it out..
    1983 BMW 320i, my everyday car - 138,000 miles and gutless
    2005 Subaru Outback, the daily driver - boring
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202

Very sad ,shocking. Right on the heels of loosing another 911 lover, Barry Williams. I stayed at Craig's in LV when we had the 10th anniversary meet.
    Very hospitable. Life is to short.

Yeah Rick,

Barry Williams last month, Don Marks two weeks ago (the Porsche distributor guy in Chico/Oregon, and now Craig......... Life is short.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

S Registry

Craigs' & Barrys SWB 911's 0n the the magazine cover got me initiated to the newly formed S Registry. Craig organized the Early S Registry gathering prior to the the Long Beach Grand Prix in the Plaza. Great turnouts back then. Very heady about Porsches ! R.I.P. Craig
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

A sad passing…

I'm noticing that as we get older we start losing the people of our generation, be it friends or celebrities. As my dear old Dad kept saying, "getting old is not for sissies" While not a close friend of Craig I had met him several times and tho I don't know his age I suspect he was younger than me. (most everyone is)
    Death just never seems fair.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    Craigs' & Barrys SWB 911's 0n the the magazine cover got me initiated to the newly formed S Registry.
    Me too. That February 1996 European Car cover probably started many of us down the same road. To think that only 13 years later we are losing these two guys is kinda shocking.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187