Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: euro- USA 1970 911 differences

euro- USA 1970 911 differences

Hi- Are there any mechanical differences between the two?? Its a 1970 T that i believe is a euro. Waiting for the COA in the mail!!
    Thanks Joe

As far as determining if your car is euro - does your car have a carbon filter? it sits in the lower drivers side of the front pan. Also does it have amber rear lens? The dials might be km as well?

euro

Thanks for responding. What make me think its a euro is that there is no hazard flasher, vin on A piller. Druck gauge and Km speedo were hidden under white overlays. The front turn signal housings have a bulb in the front. I have not seen the front bulb in the other housings I have. There is not a canister at the batt but the PO changed all of the gas tank vent hoses. Will the COA mention if its a USA or not?? It does have Zeniths.

Thanks again!!

COA will not state Euro or USA.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

POOP! that stinks.

euro- USA 1970 911 differences

Without any VIN on the A pillar it almost certainly must be a RoW, this was required by the DOT by this time. The lack of hazard switch, and front turn housings with the ghost lights just backs it up.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I imported my 1970 Targa

Euro cars did not have a VIN number in the windshield- that was something that was supposed to be added, but there was a lot of leeway in how you could do that.
    Euro cars did not have stickers showing what the controls were- of course those could be added.
    Euro cars do have the hazard warning light on the dash.
    The only instrument I had to change on my 70 was the speedo- but I had that converted by North Hollywood Speedometer, so you can't tell that it was a euro version
    Lights were too easy to change, so that would be hard to tell
    I did have a sticker put on my door pillar when I imported it, but it is since gone due to a repaint
    Master cylinders were changed from the single (euro) to the double (US)switch so there was a brake failure light (part of the parking brake light circuit)

The windshield VIN # may be your best bet- compare it to a US car...
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    In US they were zenith 40TIN and in Europe it was weber 40's.Cars for the US got signal buzzers to remind drivers of keys in the ignition.

Raj
    Raj,
    I am not so sure about the US 911T cars getting Zenith Carb's and the Euro T's getting Webers. All 72 and 73 Euro 911T cars got Zeniths while the US T's got MFI in 72 and the first half of 73 model year, and then CIS for the last half of 73 model year. Why would the Euro cars switch from Webers to Zeniths all of a sudden if it were not required? In the USA, Porsche was required to switch to MFI and eventually CIS because of harsher US emissions requirements.
    I had assumed the opposite - that US cars go Webers and the Euro T's got Zeniths.

Euro spec '70T engine type no was 911/03 whereas US spec was 911/07 ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Joe,
    My Euro does not have the vin on the pillar, no hazard switch, did not come with seat belts and did not come with a drivers mirror, the COA might say something like "Italian Equipment" under the optional equipment section which will comfirm that is it a Euro. From what you have said it sounds like you have one.