Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was this a really good deal ?

Was this a really good deal ?

Tough to say.

1. Needs repaint: $10,000 for a high quality job
    2. Needs rebuild: probably ditto
    3. Needs interior redo: $5,000ish? (although it looked ok from the picture)
    4. Needs some bodywork: god only knows (if it's limited to the battery box, what is that these days - $1,000ish?)
    5 Unknown true mileage (although does that matter much if the valve guides are totally shot anyway?)

How's the tranny? What else is lurking?

I would imagine that you would be on the hook for another $30-$40k if you did everything to a high standard. Others with far more experience than me will hopefully chime in.

On a separate topic, could the seller make the ad any more difficult to read? For gods sake, use some lowercase letters and make a new paragraph here and there!
    95 C4 / Guards Red...(Sold)
    2005 997 Carrera Arctic Silver/Black...(Sold)
    95 C4 / Polar Silver...(Sold)
    10 Cayman S / Atlas Grey

Terrible ad...

but the car sold in a couple of days for the "buy it now".

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf View Post
    on a separate topic, could the seller make the ad any more difficult to read? For gods sake, use some lowercase letters and make a new paragraph here and there!
    this is the trend these days to use all caps and no punctuation like it cost extra to use the shift enter or period keys i really dont understand what the problem is do you

What is odd is I typed that in all caps and it came out all lower case when it posted.
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

I know the seller, and he knows the market, and he's not struggling.

I'm sure he's happy with the sale.

e

and I can imagine that you could spend way more too on resto$$$....but??
    whats up with all the restoration craze?? a restoration for me would be a waste of such a nice survivor.
    this car looks more like a car to just tighten back up and drive.
    how much nicer can you get( I know the sky's the limit!) but really

Not everyone wants/could afford such expenditure left for professionals to do it all, many early Porsche fans are hands-on type.
    If such a resto was quantified, you could cut that in half by doing a lot you can do yourself....personally I would prefer to revive a long forgotten/abandonned, beat, rusty body of a car that will shine again against the odds.
    (wish I could do that to my body)
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I think it is a pretty good deal from the pics and description. It all matches up and it has the original parts (SR, seats, alum lid, etc.).

Assuming it isn't a rust bucket underneath, when the finances allow or the market justifies, restoring it is a simple matter of do it or not, as opposed to gotta find this part and that, and gotta reverse this mod or that one, etc.

If the market doesn't rebound and the finances never allow, can't believe you'd get hurt on resale.

my 2c.

This car

is a very nice example! I saw it at the sellers place about a year or so ago. I guess this is the "market" for a nicely optioned iconic S in Silver with a sunroof. Interestingly, he first listed it with a BIN price of $39.9 but quickly changed it. Bet he's glad he did!

IMHO, this car should be driven or lightly, tastefully restored doing the minimum. It is only original once and this is too nice a car to over restore. Well bought and sold!

-Allen-

Well bought in my opinion.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    Well bought in my opinion.
    From the comments above I would agree... Well Bought.

This is the 911 for me 2.2s, Sunroof, Sport seats, Alloy panels, good color.

When I get my finances sorted out THAT is what I'll be looking for.