Thread: 901 trans; getting into first

901 trans; getting into first

Is it common for first gear to be a challenge on 901 transmissions? It can be tough for me to get into first . I have a couple of tricks that help, the best being double pumping the clutch. Just want to know if this is common.

Probably your first gear slider dog teeth are worn off. Just took the Dr Evil transmission clinic, and this part has usually the worst wear of any part. Umm, and it isn't cheap. Good thing I had a spare tranny with a broken mainshaft, but a good slider. So common? Yes absolutely, but it is repairable.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Where can I take the Dr. Evil transmission clinic? How many credits is it worth?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

See this thread for the upcoming clinic. If there is not one in your area, then organize one. You only need a few guys to make it worth his while. You just need a warm shop with enough elbow room for the people attending. I drove about 3 hours to the one last weekend.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96747
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Wow, great idea. I would want to disassemble my box before the class so I had new parts in hand and ready to go...
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Scope Creep Poster Child
    I discovered, thanks to Bruce Anderson, that, from a standstill, shifitng into second and then first really makes things easier. The first gear synchro only works with down shifts. Going from neutral to first is, essentialy, an upshift.

I also reworked my worn slider when I rebuild the gearbox. Uisng a file, I sharpened each tooth to a point, per new. While this may not last forever, it was free, and did result in a significant improvement. Even with a new slider though, I suspect that Anderson's technique is the way to get into first.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Yes it can be hard to get into first. I had my gearbox rebuilt, and that actually made it more difficult to get into first. As I am breaking it in, it is becoming smoother. I usually slip it into first right before it comes to a stop, and that works well. Make sure all your shift bushings are OK also helps- see 101 things to do to your Porsche.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S