Thread: So, how hard is this going to be to fix?

So, how hard is this going to be to fix?

Driving in to work this morning in my '66, minding my own business, then bam...my vent window just shattered for no reason. Is this going to be difficult to find good glass? Original glass? Is original glass tinted? Source for used glass? Any suggestions or comments welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Elvis has left the building.

Scott,

it's unfortunate but really no big deal. You're lucky it's only a vent window. One day I walked out to the garage and what to my wondering eyes should appear but my whole bloody rear glass which exploded. Happened overnight in the garage, wasn't even driving it.( See photo No 1)

Here's the drill:

1. Remove the vent window
    2. Disassemble the pivoting handle, because it goes through a hole in the glass. ( Don't loose the roll pin, impossible to find these days).
    3. With a small hammer gently tap all the chunks of glass over a towel you've spread over a workbench.
    4. With a narrow screwdriver clean out the slot in the chrome frame carefully and thoroughly....wear thick gloves to prevent cuts since you probably will slip.
    5. E.A.S.Y. ( Tel. 510. 653. EASY) will be happy to sell you a tinted or plain replacement glass. Both are available (not brand new, but certainly servicable) Your glass looks like it's not tinted. Make sure you specify whether you need left or right, since these pieces are handed. (R.H. or L.H.)
    6. You will need a tube of 3M Window weld, Super fast urethane. It's black, indispensable for this job and works very well. Available at NAPA auto-parts stores ( Photo No. 2)
    7. Clean slot in window frame with laquer thinner, wait 'til dry, apply bead of Window-weld in frame and insert glass. Tap in place with plastic / rubber hammer until hole in glass lines up perfectly with hole in frame. Clean up all the Window-weld that squeezed out.
    8. Polish and clean all the parts on a wire brush wheel, the reassemble the pivoting vent-window handle.
    9. Re-install vent window.

Note: I think you'll find that the job will probably take a little longer but will be less stressful and go smoother if you remove the entire window frame from the door/ car altogether. That way you can work away from the car and have a flat surface to rest everything on and get it all right before you re-install the whole finished frame back into the door. For your information I am also attaching a photo of a finished door frame ready to go into the car when your repair is finished. ( photo No. 3 )

Good Luck and post some photos when you're done.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

No big deal, you will need to remove wing latch using a punch and hammer to remove the small roll pin. Once pin is removed remove handle and related parts watch what/how all come out there is a small spring. Good factory replacement glass not a big deal to find put up a WTB. Factory had a standard VERY light tint and optional heavier tint, just by looking at your photo my guess you have the standard tint. Who is the manufacturer of your glass, look @ the good wing window at top. My guess Sekurit there will also be some #'s M2/AS2, D-02. Good news is no gasket needed the wing is held in place with a black sealent like they use on new cars. Scrape out the old sealent from the channel then when ready to install new glass lay in a bead of new sealent install window and latch then tape glass to hold until sealent sets up. Trim any excess sealent that oozed out with a razor blade.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

member #1515
    I got roll pins from Stoddard
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Careful out there, Scooter. Is your name in the Austin phone book yet?
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

I have not been able to respond all week, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your help. I knew you guys would come through for me. Thanks!

I will be working on getting the wing and broken glass out this weekend. I will try to give E.A.S.Y. a call as well. My glass is in fact Sekurit M2/AS2, D-02, which appears to be non-tinted, but I will have to confirm before purchasing.

Jeff, I sure hope I am not the "Nathan" of Austin. I didn't find a bullet anywhere in the car, so I think I am safe.

Got the vent window pieces out this weekend. Had to chisel the little pieces out of the channel. I decided to leave the frame in the car for now, but will likely remove the frame for installation. Called EASY today. I have a new window on the way for $75.

Tools of the trade:

Glass removed. Still need to clean the channel:

Scott, very easy to replace in the car...don't take the frame out especially if it fits well...most likely it wont go back in that way

Call me and I can walk you through the latch disassembly

Chris
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #