Thread: Porsche 908/2 Info Needed

Question Porsche 908/2 Info Needed

I posted this question over on FerrariChat.com and someone suggested I post over here. I apologize of this is in any wat OT...

I am trying to figure out the history on a Porsche 908/2 with the #36 and 'BP' livery that was supposed to have raced at Zeltweg. I have the slot car version of the Porsche and the base says the car finished 4th at Zeltweg in 1969:

But....

RacingSportsCars.com does not list a #36 car entered in Zeltweg 1969:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...8-10-2481.html

Another website which lists a #11 car & no #36 car:

http://www.porsche917.com.ar/xres69det02.htm#Zeltweg

They show that Masten Gregory drove the #11 car to a 4th place overall and a class win...

But... I have found pictures on the web showing a #36 car in the race....

The color photograph proves the #36 did race in what would look like a race against other cars and car numbers that show up on the 1000 km of Zeltweg grid. But, all documentation of the race on the web has the Masten Gregory car as the #11 car.

I know there was also a lesser race at Zeltwez in 1969 but that does not seem to match up either....

Anyone have any more information on the car or the race???? I have done a lot of searching and cannot find out a definitive answer. Even the Porsche Museum could not give me an answer.

I appreciate any help......
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bill,

The second picture shown seems to be a national sports car race as opposed to the championship 1000 km race.
    I dont see the Ickx Gulf Mirage nor either of the '69 917s.
    The number 36 is on pole.
    The results of the 1000km race have 4 908s featured :
    - Gregory / Brostrom
    - Lins / Larousse
    - Wendt / Khausen
    - Neuhaus / Frolich
    If 36 finished the race and if one of these last three was number 36,then take your pick !
    Remember that at this time,Porsche were selling off their one race old 908s to pay for the expensive 917 project,so there were a lot of these 'obselete' 908s running in various national championships in late '69.
    Sources are the Lewandowski poster book(thanks Carl) and Automobile Year 17.

HTH
    Dennis .
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Bill

I dont have a concrete answer for you but I am certain as one can be that the #36 car was not at the 1000km Zeltweg race in 1969.

The car may have been there but I think that the number on the car at that race was #11. It is interesting that Best does a 1/43 model of that car as #36 as well but shows it as a 1970 Zeltweg car and again there is no record of that car with that number at the 1970 race.

The earlier Non championship race was at Zeltweg on 27.7.1969 and Masten Gregory did race a 908 there but his number is not listed in the databases I have access to. There were 3 908's there, two from Porsche Salzburg for Rudi Lins and Peter Peter. There were 13 cars in all entered for that race including a couple of Lola's a couple of Alfas and some 906 and 910's.

There is a chance that this is the picture you are showing, but my database shows only one race number (#5 for an Alfa T33/3).

I think I can see 2 Porsche Salzburg 908's in your photo (red and white) and the alfa at the front (that looks like a T33/3) is a #5 - but that is not really enough to go on for a positive ID.

If it was that race the results show that Masten Gregory was disqualified as he was pushed by Broström
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Bill,

...what Hugh said...
    Try this link - http://wsrp.ic.cz/nonchamp1969.html
    What a brilliant site this is !!
    There are several races at Zeltweg in 1969 but I can't see a #36.
    The label is definately wrong on your model but as to who the driver/s were ....
    The two red and white 908s are Porsche Salzburg cars.
    Alfa #5 is De Adamich - black helmet.

ed.. - just answered my own statement !
    The race you have in the picture is the Eroffnungsrennen on 27 July 1969 - Eroffnung is opening according to my German dictionary - was this the first race day at Zeltweg ?

HTH,
    Dennis.
    S Registry member 536

Bill / Hugh,

Here is your answer !
    Car 36 as above raced (from pole) at the inaugural race at Zeltweg on 27 July 1969 and was disqualified due to the cars owner Brosstrom(in a 910) pushing an out of gas Gregory to the finish line !
    Car 11 was placed 4th at the 1000 km championship race on 10 August and headed home 3 other 908s - an excellent result !
    Fly have given you the earlier car but with the later label.
    Details are in the recent book - Porsche 908 the long distance runner by various German authors.
    Buy it !! a great read and also a great resource !

HTH,
    Dennis.
    S Registry member 536

Dennis

well done

thanks

it sounds like that is another book that i will have to look out for
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776