Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went to buy the 2.4 core engine that is advertised. What am I missing?

I went to buy the 2.4 core engine that is advertised. What am I missing?

I went to buy the 2.4 core engine that is currently advertised on the Early S website.

The engine had no ID number because the tab where the numbers are stamped had been broken off the case...

The seller had (2) early 911s and (2) 911 engines on engine stands and alot of 911 parts in his garage.

He said that he did not know where to look for the engine number and had never noticed that the tab that holds the engine number was broken off. There was no other damage anywhere else on the case from accident damage etc...

What does this mean why would someone remove the engine number? Can one of you Porsche experts explain it to me slowly?

Smells like day old sushi.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

what about the engine type number? 911/5? was it present?
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Trick question

Am I missing something or is this question a joke
    Mike

No Mystery

It is I that is selling the 2.4 engine. I'm sure most of you could figure that out by reviewing the ads. I am a new member here, recently selling my Ferrari 330 GT and my 66 Shelby that I had owned for over 20 years. In 1975 I owned a 1958 Speedster and a 1970 914-6, when Speedsters were worth 10K and 914-6s were $6500. I decided I wanted to get back into the early Porsche scene as I had very fond memories of those two cars back in 1975.

Malibu, I resent the inference here and your sarcastic comment while you were here at my home. You boldly stated that it was obvious that this clapped and greasy 3R case 2.4 was stolen and that this wasn't your first barbeque. This engine was part of massive group of parts that I received when I purchased my 72 T last December. The seller was also a very forthright and honest person and most of the members here know him. I have since purchased a 68 911 as well. I have no idea where to check for numbers and I have been learning over the last 9 months. I have never even pulled a motor from a 911 as of yet. I had a lot of response on that motor and you can verify with the others that I couldn't find the number on this motor. It is a greasy mess and I didn't notice that the tab was broke off. I did see the 911/51 number as well as the 3R casting underneath when a caller directed me to them after telling him I couldn't find the number. If you were as observant about what was in my garages as you indicated, you would have noticed that most of my stuff was small block Ford along with my 67 Mustang vintage race car. Please don't acuse others or infer that they had knowledge of this when you don't know. Your the type of person that I would want no part of...
    What color is your Rolls you were drivin' Malibu?

You are obviously very well educated in vintage cars so excuse me if I doubted you.

Had I arrived at your home and seen only vintage Fords and only Ford parts in your garage and you were selling a Porsche motor I might have not doubted your story.

But when I arrived as I stated before there were (2) early 911s and (2) 911 engines on engine stands. In addition there was a guy doing work on one of the Porsches and a Recaro sport seat taken apart on the ground, a H4 head light on the bench and a bunch other Porsche parts scattered around. It appeared to be a Porsche repair shop. You are also not that new to 911 Porsches having posted at least 185 times on this site alone.

Having said that it might seem to some a little suspicious that in 10 months of owning (2) 911s that you state that you have no idea where the engine number is. You admit to being a vintage car guy and with matching numbers being very important you not knowing where the ID numbers are located is possible but seems unlikely. Plus the engine was on a stand, stripped of everything making the engine number very easy to find.

I know that if you arrived at my home to buy my 1966 427 Cobra (CSX 3127) or my 330GTS and you discovered that the ID numbers had been torn from the chassis and I said that I dont know where the ID numbers are and I never noticed this before you would probably doubt my story.

I never accused you of altering or removing the engine number. You asked me "why would someone remove the engine number" I replied because the engine is stolen!

Is there another reason that someone would intentionally brake the engine number off the case that you are aware of?

So if you really have no idea where your ID numbers are then I apologize!
    But I think that you should have revised your ad once you discovered this somewhat important detail.

Your ad still makes no reference to the now known fact and I did not post until over 4 hours after we met.

BTW...Your 1972 911T Sunroof looked like a very nice car... Love the color..

The 1972 Cornice convert is a chrome bumper with original paint (Black on Black)
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I recall correctly, the advertised price was pretty low - $500 I thought. Malibu, did you expect a running engine with MFI and 150+ compression numbers for that price? Be real.

4 hours? Wow!
    Ad removed
    Repair shop? A friend and I working on my 68? The 68 was purchased 1 week ago with numerous parts packed in it.
    Those are Scheel Seats
    Check out my posts here Dick Tracy. Almost all my Porsche tech talk on Porsche technical are questions posed by me for educational purposes.
    You have put your own twist on this without all the facts. Never was a statement made by me about the importance of matching numbers to me. Why would you completely fabricate that statement? You missed the Ford Minilites, the 351 Cobra intake, Cobra oil pan and 5 pairs of period 289 valve covers. All 4 walls of my garage were lined with over 50 photos and pictures of vintage racing Fords. Yes there were 911 parts out on the bench, but the majority of the stuff is Ford. Including the 48 IDAs that you may have mistaken for Porsche useage. You came on strong and as a "no it all" and expected me to put the hand cuffs on myself. Rather than be confrontational, I chose to look at as another new thing that I learned. Then you come back here post crap like this?
    You don't even know me. Your version of this wreaks with fabricated and twisted sentences of your visit to support your position.
    Does that 2.4 have the car's VIN on that tag like on 68 and up Fords?
    Or is it a number that dates the car within a particular time period?
    If the answer is the later, then what would be the advantage, from a thiefs perspective in breaking off that tag that has that number on it?
    And wouldn't you do it neatly so as to disquise it rather than a uneven, sharp and sloppy break off?
    Your analogy of buying a 330 GTS with no numbers is far cry from a geasey and worn out 2.4 for $500 while I invite everyone over to hope that they are as stupid as I am. Right?

I pulled a 2.4 from my 67S and the serial #was machined away. Is this a problem? NOT TO ME!

You guys dont get it Selling/Buying that engine is a Felony.10 yrs in jail +$20K

You guys dont understand. Read the criminal code section below.

Under both state and Federal laws buying or even possessing any engine (even with a receipt) with altered/removed serial numbers is a crime! Possibly a FELONY!

Plus if you buy this engine knowing that the ID number has been altered/removed you are guilty of receiving STOLEN property.

Ignorance of the law is no defense.

A person shall not buy, receive, or obtain control of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part with the intent to sell or otherwise dispose of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle part knowing that an identification number of that motor vehicle or motor vehicle part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 10 years, a fine of not more than $20,000.00, or both.

66s

You posted that you dont care that your ID number was machined off. Declaring on the internet that you know that your engine number is altered is admitting to a felony.

geshagi

How much is a stolen core engine worth?