Thread: Help on H4 Install

Help on H4 Install

I am trying to install some used H4s that I bought on the Bird. They were advertised as fitting years 69-85. This is the 2 screw type in the chrome ring. I have two problems. First the two long adjusting screws seem to be hitting the mounting tabs in the headlite opening for the original headlites. And second, I cannot get the chrome trim ring to hold onto the upper lip when tightening the lower screw. And maybe the first problem is creating the second problem? Do I have the correct lights? Is there a modification that needs to be performed? Any and all advise welcome. I will gladly take more specific pics if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What you have there is a pair of early 65-67 usa headlamp assemblies with an aftermarket h-4 lamp installed in them. The early cars did not have the tabs on the buckets, so the adjuster screws interfere with your fenders. You have the choice to grind the tabs enough so the screws clear, cut them off, or get a real set of H-4's and not modify your fenders

the fact that the upper tab is not holding the lamp also point to the screws holding the assemblies out a lil since the tabs interfere and /or the lower single screw center mounting tab needs to be angled down a bit to increase the "bite" into the upper tab

check also that the chrome ring at the top is not damaged and that the overall shape corresponds to the bucket

fun eh?
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Okay, thanks for the response. I definitely do not want to cut or grind on my car to make these lights fit. I'd prefer to install the correct lights. Any leads or sources?
    What are my lights worth? I paid $290 for them and I was told that they would fit my car. Oh well, lesson learned.