Thread: Black Motor Finish, can't find it

Black Motor Finish, can't find it

Help. A little while ago someone posted great pics of a motor that looked like it had been painted black. I asked what the finish was. Mark Petry was nice enough to answer me on the other forum (he thought it was Teflon S), but I now have no idea where I saw the original pic! Anyone remember? Many thanks,
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck, that's it.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

Hi James, I did reply to your question last week, see below. Do let me know if I can be of any more help.

regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jameshtaylor View Post
    Do you have any more information on the black finish? Looks superb.
    The black finish on the cases while not to everyone's taste was very much a personal thing. While the original RSR's ran the fragile magnesium 7R cases, the turbo case as used here has been homologated for use by the FIA as a replacement for racing. The mag case with a chromate finish goes very dark and of course the aluminium case when refinished is very bright so that set me thinking about a black finish. I decided on this one as it's used by the Formula One teams for their gearbox housings as a low friction protective coating and is very thin, just 20 microns, so it's much thinner than paint and doesn't have any inherent heat dissipation problems.

regards, Mike
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

Thanks for taking the time Mike, somehow I never got alerted to your response.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

in the word's of one of your best song's "You've Got a Friend"!
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

Well on your next trip to Santa Barbara, drop by and I'll hum a few bars!
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara