Thread: Racing Fuel Filler Flap?

Racing Fuel Filler Flap?

I wonder if any of our racing experts might be able to help me with a point of detail I'm trying to figure out. Some of the 'werks' cars of the early 70's seemed to run with various types of flap's over the fuel filler.
    In the pictures below, the number 40 car's seems to sit on top of the hood larger than the hole, where as on the number 8 car it's as though it sits in the hole in the hood, albeit not very well!

Any definitive idea's on how these where fabricated, hinged at the front I assume but what held them down at the back, if anything?

Obviously any better photo's/close up's of an original one would be a great help, any idea's?

Thanks, Mike
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

This one is for the oil tank
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Mike,

to the best of my knowledge, the type of cover used was defined by its purpose. For instance, many race & rally cars that were subject to scrutineering prior to a race / rally and were then sequestered had to have a lock or seal on the covers to prevent tampering ( adding fuel or oil) before the event. Those type came in two forms: some were just rubber or fiberglass with a hole for a lug to fit through to accept a wire inspectors seal or a small padlock ( see photo of the Waaldegard car at Rennsport III, ignore the shape and material, just trying to show the application ).

More popular on later cars, such as 934s and 935s, were usually round alum. covers with a small, lockable square push latch opposite the hinge. The hinge and latch are straight out of the small private airpcraft industry and were used with usually home-made round covers to fit the hole in question. They came in versions that were larger than the hole and sat atop the panel or, like furniture cabinet doors, were flush and sat in the hole, as shown in Ernie's illustration. What held those in place, if there was no locking latch, was a spring-loaded hinge which excerted light presuure, airflow at speed would take it from there. I'm attaching another shot showing the round cover with spring-loaded hinge on an RSR.

The finest two retsorers / creators of early 911 race / rally cars happen to be here in the Bay area:

Canepa Design at : http://www.canepa.com

and Morspeed who are part of Smart Racing / Jerry Wood Enterprises. You want to pick Don Gruener's brains re the correct type and availability of the required parts. Their Tel. # is: 408.369.9997
    FAX # is: " " 9915.

Hope this is of some help

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Mike, sorry about the piece-meal approach, but here's another photo of a Longhood 911 Track car I took at the Monterey Historics last August showing a flush-type round alum. cover with latch.
    You'll also notice there's another flush cover, sans latch, just off center in the gold star decal.

As you can see there is quite a selection of styles and components available. Doing the research to determine what was on the original car back in the day may turn out to be the real fun part. I'll keep looking among my photos and books.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thanks Ernie and John, great photo's which show some different solutions.
    I have to say I like the look of the 935 flap, I had heard that some don't have a latch at all,
    also heard stories of the mechanics writing **** on the underside as it would be the first thing that the driver saw in a spin.........
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294