Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1967 Calif. Black Plates Available

1967 Calif. Black Plates Available

I recently was going to purschase this set of Black & Yellow Plates for my car, but I found a more correctly lettered sequence for my 68 911. These plates could be for a 68 sold in 67, but they are really 67 plates. The guy is in Portland and wants $100 for the plates and they are in very nice condition from the pics that I saw. One doesn't look like it will need to be restored. I called DMV this morning and these plates are DMV cleared (seller doesn't know this). The License # is URH 176. Since I elected to pass on these plates, I thought that it would only be fair to let someone here have the opportunity to get them. I have no affiliation to these plates or the seller other than I did all the leg work to locate them and to check with DMV. PM me for the sellers cell phone #. FYI: The last DMV cleared set I bid on (ebay) went for over $300 and I just couldn't step up.

'67 CA Black Plates

PM sent on the plates.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I recently was going to purschase this set of Black & Yellow Plates for my car, but I found a more correctly lettered sequence for my 68 911. These plates could be for a 68 sold in 67, but they are really 67 plates. The guy is in Portland and wants $100 for the plates and they are in very nice condition from the pics that I saw. One doesn't look like it will need to be restored. I called DMV this morning and these plates are DMV cleared (seller doesn't know this). The License # is URH 176. Since I elected to pass on these plates, I thought that it would only be fair to let someone here have the opportunity to get them. I have no affiliation to these plates or the seller other than I did all the leg work to locate them and to check with DMV. PM me for the sellers cell phone #. FYI: The last DMV cleared set I bid on (ebay) went for over $300 and I just couldn't step up.
    Sold, thanks for the heads up
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Gburner
    fwiw I bought a set of replacement plates from this site.
    $80 ea for a new plate.
    Quick shipping, but they won't send the Ca plates to a Ca address.
    Easy to get around, sent out of state to a friend.
    http://www.licenseplates.tv/Replica-...3-to-1968.html

YOM Calif License plates

Be very cautious when buying YOM plates 1963 for Calif registration. Many, if not all, DMV offices are aware of "knock off" plates and "copied" year stickers. Aluminum repros won't pass muster at most DMV offices. Save yourself the headache and loss of $$$ and buy only the original, clear plates and stickers. Take it from me.

Dmv

I went to my DMV appointment yesterday to register my YOM plates. The plates were originals with an original correct year tag. The DMV lady was really unfamiliar with the process and even admitted this was her first time processing the YOM Black plates. She went and grabbed her supervisor and they both kind of stumbled thru the process. I did notice that they had templates to make sure the plates were originals which indicated to me that they were looking for reproductions to oust. They also had printed examples of every YOM stickers for comparison as well. The process took about an hour and the supervisor approved them at the field office level. But, that didn't get me my tags and plates to install on my car. They returned my plates to me and gave me a temporary 90 day permit (the red one) to put on my rear glass. They now told me that all of the paperwork would be forwarded to Sacramento for a final review and determination. So now I wait...

For sure do it ligit and do your homework before going thru this process at DMV. You will save yourself lots of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I went to my DMV appointment yesterday to register my YOM plates. The plates were originals with an original correct year tag. The DMV lady was really unfamiliar with the process and even admitted this was her first time processing the YOM Black plates. She went and grabbed her supervisor and they both kind of stumbled thru the process. I did notice that they had templates to make sure the plates were originals which indicated to me that they were looking for reproductions to oust. They also had printed examples of every YOM stickers for comparison as well. The process took about an hour and the supervisor approved them at the field office level. But, that didn't get me my tags and plates to install on my car. They returned my plates to me and gave me a temporary 90 day permit (the red one) to put on my rear glass. They now told me that all of the paperwork would be forwarded to Sacramento for a final review and determination. So now I wait...

For sure do it ligit and do your homework before going thru this process at DMV. You will save yourself lots of grief.
    I applied in early July with a set of original DMV clear "lightly restored" plates with the appropriate, genuine 68 sticker . My 90 day temp. ran out, so I went back to DMV and, after pulling it up on the computer, stated that the paperwork was waiting to be mailed to me (!) I asked her if she could push a button and get it on its way - she did and it actually arrived in a few days. This is how DMV is today - lots of confused people who are probably overworked and worried about their job security.
    I've been through this twice and can offer these points of advice: 1.)If possible, tactfully suggest to the counterperson that the step-by-step instructions can be found towards the rear of the "big blue book." 2.) Be prepared to wait for months and have your current (non-YOM) plates ready to hand in. 3.) If you try to pass re-pop plates, be prepared for rejection. My original plates had very light and well done airbrushing with original yellow to correct some very minor blemishes. I noticed that the DMV people were really combing over the plates and one of the 3 actually smelled them. I later asked why and he said he was checking for fresh paint. Bottom line here is never assume these people are low IQ.
    Bill.

CA Black Plates

If there are no tags on the plates, will that hinder the registration process?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If there are no tags on the plates, will that hinder the registration process?
    Yes it will. I would clean the plate of all existing year stickers and acquire an original year registration tag that matches the year model of your car. As stupid as it sounds, this is how DMV determines whether that plate is for your year model vehicle. The correct stickers can usually be found on ebay and other sites. Do not buy a reproduction, only an original.

Just a couple quick points before I forget them &/or this thread fades away.
    The way it should go:
    Check out the authentic plates on Ebay and, before bidding, call CA DMV to check for clear plates. "No Activity Shown" on a given plate = DMV clear.
    If your plates don't have it, get an authentic sticker corresponding to the date of your car's titled date. (Don't try to say that your '68 was built in late '67, etc.)
    Take your current plates with your YOM plates to DMV office. Also have current registration and title,insurance card just to be safe. Have the "year" sticker affixed to your plate. If all goes well, you'll hand in your current plates and put a temp sticker on your window. You can't run the black plates until you get the new registration and stickers for them.
    There are two different black plate programs in play here. The first is the typical YOM program where you buy plates, sticker, etc. and, if all goes well, have them assigned to your car. In the mail you'll get a new month sticker for the left side and a current ('09/'10) registration sticker. This sticker should go on a metal bracket above the original YOM registration sticker. This is how it was done with the earlier black-on-yellow plate program for earlier cars (up to 63?) Some people (?) make a small flat bracket that goes over the YOM sticker, so the original sticker isn't ruined and it looks much better.

The second is a re-assignment of black plates. You must have the original black plates that were once on your car and some form of evidence (past title/registration, (even an old speeding ticket) showing that these specific plates were once legally assigned to your specific car. If this works out, you'll have plates that are treated like any other non- YOM plate, i.e. every year you'll get a new sticker and you just put it in the upper right box.

Sorry for getting longwinded, but this info might help others searching this forum.
    Bill.