Thread: FS : Ex '72 Strahle / Freisinger S/T Momo Prototipo

FS : Ex '72 Strahle / Freisinger S/T Momo Prototipo

I am offering THE actual Momo Prototipo wheel from the '72 Strahle 911S/T pictured.
    I came by this last year when the car changed hands and the new owner
    went for a 380mm VDM.
    It's in near mint condition, no marks on the spokes at all and just a slight surface graze on the leather rim at 5 O'clock. Stitching and everything else is perfect.
    This wheel is 360mm dia, dished and has some unusual features..
    The Prototipo lettering is the very early engraved type rather than painted,
    (actually reads 'protolipo' with the T not crossed) The lettering is positioned higher on the spoke than is usual for the early prototipo's and the center spoke features a leather spat - again unusual for a prototipo. On the back there is just the MO MO lettering in the early 'stacked' design.
    See pic of the car, 2 of the wheel mounted in the car and and a final picture as it is with me now.
    A rare wheel in near mint condition with real S/T Providence
    I am asking $995 shipped.

Please PM.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

this is a very good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus View Post
    this is a very good deal!
    especially compared to your prices....lol

good looking wheel........!

I have had several PM's about dating this wheel.
    I'll have another look at the back and photograph when I am able -
    Meantime, does anyone have a good feel for when MOMO moved away from the engraved PROTOTIPO lettering to the surface painted lettering?
    Thanks for help

To the best of my limited knowledge, most of Momo's first generation prototipos, with the engraved prototipo at the bottom of the center spoke were dated between 1967-69ish, and possibly through the early to mid 1970s. The prototipos with the painted name on the spoke I believe started sometime from the mid to late 1970s. Chris, I have no doubt that this wheel you have for sale is a special wheel that is most likely late 1960s but could also be dated through the early 1970s. I've seen several others like it (though not in person,) on other significant cars. Great wheel.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Mark,

Many thanks for providing the insight - appreciated.
    The wheel is now SOLD
    Thanks to all who responded

Okay Chris.
    I've always been fascinated by these Momos. I believe these prototipos were specially made for racing drivers and were in very short production not available to the general public. The one I have has the stacked MO-MO logo which is not the earliest dated Momos but from around 1969. (They have the same 3 padded spoke style as the Sebring but dished) I don't believe Momo had a dished wheel available at that time so this was something to offer a select few drivers who wanted that option. Must be super rare. And, they only seem to show up on real race cars like the 917, I've seen them on the 908 and a few others like yours in the ST. I've never seen one for sale until now.
    This Momo is a real treasure.

Pictured are what I believe are the same or similar
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 11-20-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: update
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Vintage MOMO

All,

I was fortunate enough to purchase the wheel from Chris. One of the aspects that I enjoy the most about this Board and this hobby is learning the history behind the objects. If anyone has any information or pictures that they would care to share it would be most appreciated. I plan to write the manufacturer to see if I can learn more. I plan to share what I find with the Board.

Regards,

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Mark,

I think your second photo show Paul Frère testing what looks to be a 908/3. It might be that odd 908/3 prototype. Same era though.

Attachment 74052
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Vintage Wheel

Chris,

I received the wheel today. Thank you for packing it so carefully. The wheel is outstanding. I plan on mounting it in my '73 at the earliest opportunity.

Take care,

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)