Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearing a plugged early SWB gas tank vent

Clearing a plugged early SWB gas tank vent

I did a POR-15 product fuel tank cleaning and relining. Unfortunately, the vent is plugged up solid. I ran a coat hanger into the vent hole with a drill but it seems that the vent has a sharp turn near the edge of the tank. Does anyone have advice as to how to clear a path through the new lining? Or, am I looking at replacing the gas tank?

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Stoddard has them new, just check your diameter so you order the correct size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar

Overflow vent?

I don't think he means the outlet -- I believe Neil means the overflow vent spigot, which is a 90 degree-turn outlet located on the upper deck of the tank. Am I right, Neil?

If so, then I can't think of an easy answer. POR-15 is wonderful stuff, but after it hardens it's just about impossible to remove.

Neil, you may unfortunately have to get another tank. Which would be very frustrating after so much work over several days to do the POR-15 process. I hope this turns out okay, I wish you well!

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Try using some compressed air. When I blew out the crud in my tank I was amazed at how much the tank expanded (baloon effect) before a blockage blew out. Not in the same place as yours but if you plug the other holes it may work.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Hi Andy,

You are correct. It's the vent on the top of the tank that's plugged. Evidently it takes a sharp turn near the passenger's side of the tank. Yes, I spent several days and more than a few $ working on this to lose it, which is unfortunate.

I'm not sure whether or not a couple of feet of stiff electrical wire shoved into the vent before dumping in the POR-15 syrup and then withdrawn later would do the trick or not. Evidently few have done this treatment as there was no advice about this aspect to be found in the archives. Perhaps someone will learn from my adventure.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    The electrical wire would work, I believe. I used a piece of clear plastic hose tubing. Anything that keeps the passageway clear and pulls/pushes most of the POR-15 (while still in liquid state) along with it. Since the overflow tube is at the top, once the excess POR-15 is poured our through the fuel outlet holes and/or the sender hole, if you leave the tank right-side-up to dry hard then gravity will probably help keep that overflow port free of the POR-15 & open AFTER you've pushed the electrical wire/plastic hose through it a few times.

Swiping the fuel outlet ports' threads at the bottom of the tank is also critical.

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Neil have you refinished the outside of the tank? You might be able to take a heat gun and loosen the coating. Then push your wire threw.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Maybe a piece of cable or tightly coiled wire in a drill, like a piece of MIG welder torch liner.

Hi Tony,

I have refinished the outside of the tank. You make a good suggestion about heating the tank, however, we don't have any idea where the vent tube runs inside the tank. This would be a good application for a bore-scope.

I've been thinking about trying to find some sort of light weight cable as 66 suggests and heating the heck out of that and then shoving it in. It "feels" as if there is a sharp turn somewhere near the side of the fuel tank as a coat hanger in a drill get stopped cold.

Has anyone out there cut the top off an early SWB fuel tank? Better still, does anyone have any pictures of the inside of an early fuel tank?
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Sorry, I mis read your post.

I've found the gel type paint stripper will soften POR to the stage that you can peal it off in sheets.

Maybe you can wick it in and then try your wire to force it through.