Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new owner and questions

1968s with r options

I tried to post this before so if its duplicate i apoligize. The server has been timing me out.

I purchased a 1968s with partner and we are in the information gathering phase.

There is a long thread on pelican under "looking at barn find today". Which is all that we were looking at, and thought nothing of it.

The project turned when i was on the phone asking questions of another 68 owner in dallas and asking him what this hole was behind the passenger compartment as i climbed thru dust storage compartment in my business clothes??

In the research i have done so far it mirrors another thread on the early s board about 911r that bill noon had and sold to belgium investor.

This car is an early original complete s with original paint and perfect interior except for dust sitting for 36 years.

The car seems to come from the racing porsche side of the factory as it has many racing options including ready to accept or had installed the r oil system. Other R options i am keeping to myself till compete on history.

The previous owner was dr. diolio who also owned prototype 0002p r and later in 69 ordered seats and motor for his r.

Anything anyone could tell me about our car, racing history ect would be great. Please pm. Couple of pics on the pelican site.

Thanks to several members so far. Daily getting little more pieces but far from early history.

Thanks again for any help. don

I've seen your posts on Pelican and it looks like an amazing find. If the car is in your posession and you have clear ownership I don't understand the cloak of mystery that surrounds the car. Post all of your pics and observations and I'm sure the members on this board will share their knowledge of early 911's with you. I think as a group we are hesitant to make comments on cars that owners and finders provide little information about. I mean whats the big deal? Is there some deep dark secret that your trying to hide? I remember reading an article several years ago about a guy who owned a 67S in Colorado and after a night of drinking drove into his garage, shut the garage door and fell asllep or passed out before he turned the engine off and died of Carbon Monoxide. An event like that may or may not affect a cars value depending on how spiritual you were. Wouldn't bother me though. The 67S I would like to track down is the one that Hugh Hefner gave to the playmate of the year in 67. It was a special order pink one and has long since dissapeared. I do know where it was last sighted though.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

new owner

Couple of reasons most my fault.

Starting i shouldnt have posted advice on what to look for on a barn find. I honestly thought it was a joke so the thread started. i deleted soon after.

Second after i exchanged part money for title. Seller was hard to find for day or two for exchange of the car.

Thirdly got a few "helpful" people with i will give you 5 k more than you paid for it. Which still might be a they way to go but there was a few adamant people that the car is worthless but let me take it off your hands.

All of that made it kinda of weird for a few days. Car is in our possesion and info has been sent off for. Trying to get info in the mean time. I have sent alot of pics to several members helping me for the right reasons to find out a mystery instead of wanting the car.

I will probably issue more pics in the near future just came across a few bad circumstances.

thanks for everyones help.

You seem reluctant of disclosure and of posting pictures etc. No person or persons can take your car, or convince you to sell it if you own it outright and have it in your possesion.
    I would post details and photos and attempt to use this forum as a wealth of knowledge and understanding.
    No need to play your cards so close to your chest at this point.
    Good luck and congrats on your new car.

Cheers

pics posted so far on other board

Pics so far on the other board...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

new owner and questions

Ten G tach is a nice sign!

what

What in the world are you jabbering about?
    Mike

Looks pretty cool. Curious does it have a Webasto heater? Keep us posted. (I'm not trying to buy your car either )
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Here is a link to the 911R that Bill shared with us back in '06. It would be interesting to do the same type of detailed inspection notes on your '68 that Bill did with the 911R. I would be interested to hear what all the date codes are for your car.

Have you contacted Bill yet? I would think he might be a good resource for tracking down the Dr. in Italy. Looking forward to further details and photos, thanks for sharing.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=12586
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

68 911s

talked to bill briefly going to follow up this week. hoping doctor still alive and going to contact. Kinda fun doing research. Here is total write up to where we are now...

As stated its hard to wait for the kardex and build sheet.

Heres the story. Ill leave out the drama that made me disappointed with the porsche community since 90 percent has been helpful.

What led me to make the original post was that i was going to look at a "barn find" later that day and was asking for advice on what to look for inspecting the car.

The story.

A friend who runs a ferrari repair shop in town called me to see if i wanted to go in on a car that a customer was offering. I later found out the customer drove an old 80s cadilac and was getting the car fixed next door. I wasnt the first person my friend called but the first one that returned call. He didnt know much about the guy or porsches. He had recently did some work on my 71 so he thought i knew a little. His first mistake.

I took it light hearted knowing the info he had given me. The info we had before the trip to look at the car consisted of 4000 miles. 1968 911s. First owner was an italian doctor that lived in ethopia that had done some rallying with the car.

Car was brought to the states by an army or navy doctor and the right rear damaged by running his other car into it in the garage. The second owner coated the car with some sort of preserving liquid and put in storage and never went back to repair. He passed away and family members passed it to guy we bought it from years ago and he had stored it ever since.

Nothing seemed out of normal . He was asking more money than some farmer with an old porsche in a barn. But low if the mileage was correct so i was interested.

I expected rust and probably not even a s. I expected to waste an hour and get a good chuckle.

What added to the mysterious was the car was located near my house close to downtown dallas. Not exactly barn situation. It had been sitting in a run down warehouse in for years next to a row of strip bars. I was rolling my eyes as we pulled in for what i was about to see.

Still nothing out of the normal. He showed us the car as i started to crawl around in a dusty storage room full of car parts from his hot rods and this old porsche. Only lighting it with our cel phones and small flash light i could tell it was unbelievable clean and complete. Mileage wasnt 4000 miles but 4000 kms.

What kept bugging me was several things i had never seen before on old porsches but wasnt near any expert. We left thinking we had a nice s that we should get but the owner had watched a little too much barrett jackson auctions and wasnt certain if i wanted or not. I checked vins and engine numbers and found it was matching. The owner made the comment about we should bondo over the hole behind the passenger door. ??

I had meet several people the week before at zims for a swap meet. Concidence that day mike kuhn had emailed me about some seats he was selling. I didnt know him very well but asked if i could call him. I proceeded to ask him about these strange options on the car i just looked at. The first question was about this hole behind the passenger door. He then told me i must be looking at a 72 and thats oil door. I went to tell him that i had seen a 72 and that not it. I also was telling him of the racing parts, cams, velocity stacks, fiberglass deck lid ect. He then quickly emailed me a picture of a r that he had. I responded with yes just like that car. That when i figured we had something. Didnt know what but was hopefully something. Mike has been great help with much information. Hes coming over in next day or two to survey car.

We went back the next day wanting to look again. Paid him what he was asking thinking i was probably ok with a no rust clean s with very nice options. Little drama collecting the car and transfering title over next few days added to stress but was completed after few days. He didnt like cashier check and i went to trade for cash when picking up car. Pulled over for speeding with about 10 inches of cash rubber banded in my lap. Bank didnt have all big bills so it looked like i was ???? Cop rolled his eyes and sent me on my way.

Chapter 2

Car back to our shop. About the same time became aware of the same previous owning an original r that was later sold to japanesse collector now with belgium collector. Right there we knew we had something possibly special. The first owner had access to porsche racing dept and had ordered an r and later in 1969 and r engine and seats sent to him. Thats about where we sit now. We have looked at r oil diagram and seems to be set up at factory to accept or had it in at one time. We found monte carlo sticker in car but i doubt that. More likely he ran in the Ethopian Highland rally as that was popular with italians at the time and he lived in asmara. Matched part numbers for option r rear deck lid with old r part list.

The car has the matching number s engine in it. What done to engine unknown or condition. It turns freely.

Seems to be decals under trim under doors. Possible porsche script. Possible put the car back with s trim when done racing?

This week trying to find out racing history if any. Get build sheet. If he had access to racing dept what if anything done to this car? Did he loan it out for rally or use this as back up for his r?? Many questions. Will add pics this week. We have did nothing but rinse the car off. We have been promised racing pictures and more paperwork from last owner but he says it buried in another storage in hundreds of boxes hidden. It may be weeks.

Thanks for the help again. If anyone has any info please pm me.

Hope make sense but i dont write clear memos.