Thread: Removing front chrome bumperettes??

Removing front chrome bumperettes??

Trying to remove the front chrome bumperettes from my '67? Does anyone know how/where these get fastened to the bumper? do i need to go through the trunk to loosen the bolts? What size/type of bolts are they?

Any suggestion on removal techniques would be GREATLY appreciated!
    al

Its behind, you will have to remove the bumper. also the bolt and nut may be rusty, many cars I've seen were rusty difficult to loosen. I had to cut one bolt one one bumperette. I believe a 17mm nut. use plenty of PB blaster/ liquid wrench of some sort first and let it work for a while.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

access holes

There should be access holes in the trunk area, put there so you don't have to remove bumber unless bolts are really frozen. Take a small flashlight and look in there. OE were allen head bolts, but you never know what's been replaced after all these years. Good luck
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I agree with John912.

My experience with my 70 911 is that there are two holes per bumperette at the inner front section of the nose or trunk. Those holes are covered with plastic covers and need to be removed. Once removed, you will need a longer ratchet extension to get acces to the bolts. Go slow and do not strop the head which is a hex as now the bumper must come off and the job becomes more involved.

Remember that when re-installing the bumperettes, they seat evenly to the bumper based upon the torque you use on each bolt. So, if you tighten the bottom bolt more than the top bolt, the top part of the bumperette will be tilted downward and vice versa. The point is to hold the bumperette on the bumper straight and to tighten each bolt as evenly as is possible.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    There should be access holes in the trunk area, put there so you don't have to remove bumber unless bolts are really frozen. Take a small flashlight and look in there. OE were allen head bolts, but you never know what's been replaced after all these years. Good luck

rightly so, my bad. (17mm what was I smoking) I never re-installed fronts, usually teardown for paint and re-install bumper and trim only. those may be rusty, several cars has shown me that. btw these looked ok from the front
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128