Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RANT: Awful Mercedes-Benz Customer Care

RANT: Awful Mercedes-Benz Customer Care

OK… here's my rant. I’ve actually had a few weeks to think about it before I hit the boards with what I think you guys should know.

I’m extremely disappointed in Mercedes-Benz Customer “Care” or lack thereof.

First a little history; Besides my love for vintage Porsches, I’m a Mercedes guy. I bout my first Mercedes 12 years ago at Ken Garff Mercedes in Salt Lake City (one of the absolute worst dealerships you could ever impose upon a car buyer). It was a 300TE 4-Matic. My brother had a 300TD and I fell in love with the car. Since then, I’ve owned an ML320 (still own) an E320 4-Matic Wagon and the current car in question our E500 4-Matic Wagon. I’ve been a mouth piece for Mercedes with all of our wagons and my ML that won’t stop running.

Here’s my story; I bought the last wagon used. It had 48k on the clock when we decided to get a few last minute details buttoned up while still under warranty. I brought the car to Ken Garff Mercedes with complaints of the automated CD door not shutting. They looked at it and replaced the door under warranty. My wife got in the car and drove it away. Never checking the door… it was down, life was good, we rarely use the CD player anyway.

Fast forward about 1.5 months later. We’re in Yellowstone on vacation with the car. We decide to load a CD. Push the button. Door goes up. Won’t come down. Same problem. I think “no problem, they should still fix this even though the car is now 1k over the warranty period”. Upon further inspection, they misdiagnosed “why” the door was not functioning. The problem was the CD player not the door. I still thought nothing of it.

Wrong.

They now wanted me to pay for the CD player as the car was now out of warranty. This is where things started to get weird. Do you like the run-around? I got a plain and clear “run-around” Ken Garff stated unequivocally; “You need to talk to Mercedes-Benz Customer Care. They are the ones denying your claim.” I spoke to Mercedes-Benz Customer Care and they stated unequivocally; “You need to talk to Ken Garff Mercedes. They are the ones denying your claim.” Back to “Ken Garff Mercedes” who states it’s Patrick Tam from Mercedes-Benz USA.

Furthermore (ready for this car guys?); because I change my own oil and do my own routine maintenance on my vehicles (brakes etc.) I was told the claim would not be granted because “I do not have a good service history with the dealership”. Keep that in mind… big brother is watching your VIN.

After 4 days of holding our car hostage they come back to us acting like the “Good Guys” and say. We’ll pay for ½ of the CD player and your bill will be $440.00. More calls to Mercedes-Benz Customer Care. I couldn’t believe my ears. To me this was cut and dry. The car was brought into a Mercedes-Benz dealership while under warranty complaining of the problem. I have the receipts. They know this to be true. It was not fixed properly and they “both” are unwilling to stand behind the problem and simply admit error and fix the problem.

Ready for more? I told them to fix the door and I declined to pay for the CD player. They then proceeded to erase all of my previous backordered items that were to be covered under warranty and told me this fine trick “It’s all or nothing. You either take the CD at ½ off and we’ll repair the door for free or it’s full price for everything.”

At that point I had the moron service writer print me an estimate to have the car repaired. The new total is now $1,200.00. I have taken all invoices and notes to my attorney. I even have a phone message from Mercedes declining the coverage.

Why litigation? I don’t know… I’ve never sued anyone in my life but this is clear cut wrong. A claim was made under warranty and not fixed properly. I was told by both the dealership and Mercedes-Benz Customer Care that because I am not a regular customer at Ken Garff Mercedes my claim was being declined.

Shame on Mercedes-Benz Customer Care. I would say shame on Ken Garff Mercedes but they are beyond moral reprehension. They are simply the worst automobile dealership I’ve “ever” had experience with.

I do not recommend anyone purchase a new Mercedes-Benz automobile.

Now back to your regularly schedule chatting...
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

There are 2 sides to every story.

You get more bees with honey...

Yes, I work at the Dealer level.

If they believe that you will trash them on a CSI survey, they will give you nothing from that point on.

And yes, manufacturers do make "Goodwill" decisions based on your service history at the dealer. You have every right to service your own vehicle or take it to Joe Blows garage and this does not void your warranty for doing so. But, you effectively have given up your insurance policy for any goodwill assistance (out of warranty requests) when doing so.

If a goodwill offer is placed on the table (you were offered half) and you are still unhappy, they pull the offer completely from you. It is obvious that you are still unhappy. Why throw good money away on a unhappy customer when there are ten others who would appreciate it, is their reasoning.

We will, in most cases, help a customer who starts off telling us how he loves his car and can you help me? Once the customer reaches the "Demand" level, he will usually get nothing.

I do monthly customer seminars on this very issue.

Remember,when you trash the dealer on a manufacturers survey, all involved (including innocent employees) will lose their CSI bonus's, which at most dealers are substantial.

You may very well have valid point and might even be owed this repair, but I question your approach. I don't have a dog in this fight, I am just simply pointing out how it is at the dealer level.

By the way, I hate my wife's E320, but she loves the car.

I had a similar claim with a different problem. Car was within the Starmark warranty and I complained of a rear noise. They did nothing and noted it on their service record. 6 months later, it got worse and they determined it was a rear wheel bearing. Car was no longer under warranty, but they covered it anyway, because I had documentation that indicted a noise in that area. They could have said, "No, there is no evidence that these 2 complaints are identical" and they would have lost me as a customer. Instead, they fixed it and I was happy. BTW, I changed my own oil and only had them do the warranty items and alignments. Every dealership is different.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

You get more bees with honey...
    I appreciate that. Honey to the bitter end. Then came the bitter end. Simply unbelievable in my eyes.

Simple:

1. Car brought in under period
    2. Not fixed properly
    3. Fix it and don't jack the customer.

I work at the customer level.

You simply don't know my approach well enough to question it. I couldn't have been more political or kind. Now I'm not playing nice.

To tell me they would have covered it if I were a better customer?
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

Having worked at a few "German" dealerships in the past I would say if you do your own service make sure you use the factoty filter,drain ring and the approved oil. This gives them an out if you don't and make sure you keep a service record.

The CSI thing is a problem cause you get guys at a dealer that feed people lines of BS just so they keep smiling as they leave. I have a 996 in the shop now that the dealer told the customer that the airbag light is supposed to stay on

One thing I tell people is when your car goes out of warrenty the dealer doesn't want to work on it and if they do the over inflate the quote in hopes you just trade it in.....
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Gburner
    Good luck on a fair outcome.
    remember all you write you may read again when you have your day in court.

We have a 2000 4matic. It's been a great car for 120,000 miles and the intension is to drive it into the ground.

A few years ago when it was under warranty there was a spill from the cup holder into the shifter hole. This is NOT an uncommon issue btw and MB has seen fit to make the area a bit more "waterproof" on the newer models.
    Anyhow, the car went into limp mode (2nd gear only) and since the better half (the culprit) was a good distance from town we had it towed.
    The part and labor was about $700 if my memory is right. The dealer attempted to charge the entire amount; however, my great debater (and culprit) prevailed in her "flawed design" argument paying only for the labor. It didn't hurt that the MB Zone Rep happened to be there at the time.
    A friend who has the same car had a similar experience however in his case Hendrick Mercedes "gave him" the 1st one and said any additional "spills" were on him. Fair enough.

We've been treated fairly at our dealership and have a good relationship with the sales staff but the old saying "catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar" always holds up.

All cars have become entirely too complicated and it's only a matter of time before you will have problems. I can't wait to see what happens to 10 year old 997's. Cars that have been wrecked or had wiring issues will be an absolute nightmare.

As someone told me; it makes absolutely no sense to rebuild a Boxster engine when you can buy a new one in the crate. These are "system replacement" cars.

A buddy who is a stellar BMW mechanic has given me the "skinny" over the years on goofs and screw ups. The 3 series M cars with main bearing issues from the early 2000's comes to mind. He replaced them 3 times on one car. The only thing BMW did was to give a longer warranty which was of little comfort when we owned a car with an engine from this series. We could have never made the mileage and years. Gone. Adios. No more.
    BTW, you've heard that the 2 turbo setup is being ditched in favor of a single turbo? 8 letter word; begins with p and ends with s.

No car is perfect and there are very few dealers out there that do it right every time.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

remember all you write you may read again when you have your day in court
    It's all true. I don't have a problem with that; at least none that I can see.

Guys... I'm serious; I was as polite and professional as can be. As stated, I'm a Mercedes guy. Tom, like you, I'm driving my ML into the ground.

I simply can't understand the dealer attitude, and I hear it echoed herein "Why throw good money away on a unhappy customer when there are ten others who would appreciate it." I'm "only" unhappy because they refuse to fix a problem that they attempted to fix under warranty. I'm not even upset that it was misdiagnosed. Is it wrong to expect this to be fixed properly? I'd also be willing to bet the ten others have their cars under warranty because, from what I'm hearing, there is no way a car dealership will throw "good money" at anyone.

I'll tell you "exactly" why you should throw money away on a dissatisfied customer. It's basic customer service common sense:

1. Because the problem should have been fixed properly under the warranty. It's not throwing money away (first and foremost) it's abiding by your contractual agreement with the car owner. If you don't make it right your are doing the wrong thing. It's wrong.

2. An angry customer will tell _____ others. (fill in the blank)

3. You will now face litigation based upon #1. Is it worth it?

Bottom line: It's wrong. I wouldn't post it here. I wouldn't contact Mercedes-Benz Customer Care. I wouldn't even bat an eye at a 1/2 price offer if I felt I was in the wrong here... in any way shape or form. Money is not the issue.

I've "always" been treated properly by Mercedes until this (what I consider) black and white issue. I've always been cordial with the people involved. I left the dealership calm and collected with the new estimate in my hand. I simply refused to pay what I feel is wrong. And I will fight for what I think is right. I will tell as many friends and comrades as I can about the:

"If you were a more loyal customer we would honor it as a Goodwill claim."

and

The "takeaway close" (as Brian Tracy would call it); "If you don't take this offer, we'll cancel your b/o'd items and make you pay full price."
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer View Post
    The "takeaway close" (as Brian Tracy would call it); "If you don't take this offer, we'll cancel your b/o'd items and make you pay full price."
    Ugly. "Coming over the counter" talk with some folks. Good thing you are a Benz customer and not "William Robert" at the Ford dealership picking up (no pun intended) his truck.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

a good measure of character is the way a man treats people that can do him no good.

looks like you've gotten your answer as to the character of the folks at the dealership (as well as corporate because that is most likely what is behind this...whether corp covers the repair or not).
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!