Thread: a '68 engine question

a '68 engine question

Ok I have a question on '68 engines. I know the engines in '68 are like the rest of the car a lot of weird one year only items. First when in the engine run was the switch from aluminum to mag? Second did only 911 normals have the smog equipment or was it also installed on the 911L's trying locate a correct type engine for a early production targa.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

a '68 engine question

Tony, in regards to mag case change over, I've only ever seen reference to 'mid-year' change. I'll look in the parts book to see if they identify by engine number. Both the normal and the 'L' had all the air pump stuff.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

You need this thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...+serial+number
    Dave has the switch all but nailed down. My mag-cased '68 is shortly after the switch (#12194).
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

The 1968 S engine was without smog equipment (that is why the S was not imported). I believe all ROW engines in that time frame were non-smog. All US Engines were smog. Engine should be a 901/14 with IDAP carbs for US.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Was there two versions of the left side chain housing cover one in mag and the other in aluminuim?
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

a '68 engine question

There may have been Tony, I don't remember working on a alum. case smog pump engine, but page SE5 of the shop manual shows what is likely a alum. engine (6 bolt lower covers) with the smog pump system. Interesting question
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.