Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory undercoating on a '72

Factory undercoating on a '72

I am in the process of restoring a 72 911E... at the point of painting the front and rear bumpers. Can anyone tell me where the undercoating line was on the front and rear? If I recall, the factory put undercoating on the bottom of the lip on the "S" bumper then painted over in color. Did they do something similar on the rear?
    Thanks!

Factory undercoating on a '72

There wasn't any undercoat line, the backs of the bumpers were undercoated, and the frontsides were painted. Were you maybe thinking of the rocker panels?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I agree. Undercoat backside over primer then finish paint.
    No undercoat on front on either front or rear.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Talking

I have no absolute proof, but my front and rear bumpers ('72 T) had the same pebbly undercoat as the rockers. Not heavy, like underneath the car, but lighter and more like non-slid texture (stone guard), and it was applied to the outer surface of the bumpers on the very lowest portion, below the bulge that carries the deco. I have no pictures, and I can't recall if it had original paint over it when I stripped the bumpers, but it was there and identical to the stone guard on the rockers. Not proof positive, granted, but I'd like to hear if anyone with an original paint '72 has the stone guard on the bumpers. Hope this opens a can of worms!
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

Thanks guys. I was thinking that there was wurth undercoating under the color on the lower portion of the rear bumper, similar too the rocker but I guess I was wrong. If anyone knows of anything different give me a shout. Thanks.

Here are some undercarriage photos of a very original, low mileage 72T I own. The underside was well coated with grime. This is the result of an afternoon spent with a low pressure hot washer and a bunch of chemicals.

The undercoating is uniform throughout. Nothing from a can by the way replicates this undercoating. It is then topcoated with a matte/semi black. It looks like they sprayed it and then touched some areas up with a brush.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Here are some more
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '92 964

and some more
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '92 964

Here is the inside of one of the rear bumpers. Unfortunately I had to re-paint this car as the silver metallic had failed. I cleaned these bumpers really well and made my painter mask off the inside to preserve the undercoating and appearance. I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy. It appears to have the same coating as the rest of the car with a dusting of silver overspray (factory).
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '92 964

Thanks for the pics Tom. Do you have any pics of the exterior of the rear bumpers? I'm trying to figure out if the factory applied undercoating on the bumpers similar to the rocker panels.