Thread: Still looks a bit portly

Still looks a bit portly

But maybe they're headed in the right direction?

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20091105

2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder: Light, Powerful, Purist Roadster to Be Introduced
    at Los Angeles Auto Show
    Porsche's newest entry will be the lightest in its line-up

ATLANTA, Nov. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Weighing in at just 2,811 lbs., the new 2011
    Porsche Boxster Spyder will be the lightest Porsche available - from a company
    known for lightweight, proficient sports cars. This new mid-engined roadster
    represents the true, purist form of the sports car - agile, powerful, open and
    efficient. This third Boxster model will join the Boxster and Boxster S and
    will make its world debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show, December 2, 2009.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20091105/CL05763-a)
    (Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20091105/CL05763-b)

The newest member of the Boxster family stands out from the other versions of
    Porsche's mid-engined roadster. Its low-slung, lightweight soft top - when
    closed - extends far to the rear to protect the driver and passenger from
    bright sunshine, wind and weather. This top, when combined with extra-low side
    windows and two striking bulges on the single-piece rear lid, provides the
    Boxster Spyder with a sleek silhouette reminiscent of the Carrera GT.

The Boxster Spyder features a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine with Direct Fuel
    Injection upfront of the rear axle. Maximum output is 320 horsepower (hp), 10
    hp more than the Boxster S.

The combination of 10 more hp and 176 pounds less weight than the
    award-winning Boxster S, plus an all-new sport suspension that lowers the
    Boxster Spyder 20 mm, a lower center of gravity, a standard limited slip
    differential, and exclusive wheels provides the kind of driving dynamics that
    back up the unique look. Aluminum door skins and lightweight interior door
    panels from the 911 GT3 RS contribute to the weight reduction.

When equipped with Porsche-Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission and the Sports
    Chrono Package, the new Spyder, using Launch Control, accelerates from a
    standstill to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. Top track speed is 166 mph - with the
    roof open.

Fundamentally, the entire Boxster family is the successor to the legendary 550
    Spyder and RS 60 of the Fifties and Sixties, all sharing the same mid-engine
    roadster concept. Low weight and supreme agility combine to provide
    outstanding driving pleasure.

In 2004 and 2008 Porsche produced limited editions of the Boxster bearing the
    additional name Spyder, honoring the 550 and RS 60. In contrast, the new
    Boxster Spyder is a regular, but specially developed and upgraded production
    model as compared with the Boxster and Boxster S.

The 2011 Boxster Spyder goes on sale February 2010. U.S. pricing is $61,200.

About Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
    Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., is the
    exclusive importer of Porsche vehicles for the United States. It is a wholly
    owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing.h.c. F. Porsche AG. PCNA employs
    approximately 180 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service,
    marketing and training for its 201 dealers. The dealers, in turn, provide
    Porsche owners with best-in-class service. Throughout its 61-year history,
    Porsche has developed numerous technologies that have advanced vehicle
    performance, improved safety and spurred environmental innovations within the
    automotive industry. The company continues to celebrate its heritage by adding
    to its long list of motorsports victories dating back to its first 24 Hours of
    Le Mans class win in 1951. Today, with more than 28,000 victories, Porsche is
    recognized as the world's most successful brand in sports car racing. PCNA,
    which imports the iconic 911 series, the highly acclaimed Boxster and Cayman
    mid-engine sports cars, high-end Cayenne sport utility vehicle and the
    four-passenger Panamera Gran Turismo, strives to maintain a standard of
    excellence, commitment and distinction synonymous with its brand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Looks ok for a 21th Century car that has to meet current safety sandards (i.e. high belt line, fat A, B, and C pillars, etc).

The humps kind of spoil it for me though. Hopefully they are remivable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

neat car but it's kinda sad to see the worlds premier sports car mfr create a 'lightweight' version of it's product that still has power windows, mirrors, locks along with stereo, etc. etc.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
    neat car but it's kinda sad to see the worlds premier sports car mfr create a 'lightweight' version of it's product that still has power windows, mirrors, locks along with stereo, etc. etc.
    Eric, spoken like a true lover of classic early 911s. In fact, if I were specifying the "Boxster Speedster", I would even go further than you suggest. They could keep all the power-assists and just strip, strip, strip until it is a bare car. Inspite of Porsche's traditional "Less is More ($$$)" philosophy, that car should be cheaper and would reflect it's reduced bulk through notably better handling, performance and fuel milage. But you know, after it's all said and done, it would still be a long way from the silk purse you want to make out of what is fundamentally a water-cooled, lard-a** of a sow's ear. While it may be true that some of us would love to see Porsche partially return to their roots and offer Club Sport Caymans, Boxster Speedsters ( with much more than just cut-down windshields.....true lightweight Roadsters) etc., read below. That, I fear, is much more indicative of the typical Porsche buyer of today. Hell, an effective, complete A/C installation weighs more than all the other minor power accessories combined. The number of true hard-core potential buyers who would today actually fork over the amount required to buy what you and I envision simply makes no sense to a volume producer of cars, and it certainly wouldn't make sense for today's Porsche under VW's umbrella, since they have other markets to protect.

No, the golden days of new, raw, sensitive, lightweight longhoods are long gone. Cherish the many good ones still left, take good care of them and most importantly, for the love of pure internal combustion at it's finest drive them as God and the good professor intended them to be driven, for we shall not see their kind again......ever.

JZG

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Sort of like all the "special editon" Corvettes. Paint jobs, different wheels and emblems. Marketing department hard at work. 10 hp is not much and is equivalent to the stiffer Cayman S. I can put together a nice one for similar money. Convertible?... phooey. (If they had cut the windshield down I could get a bit more excited.)

No A/C is a deal breaker. I cannot justify dropping 61 "large" on anything without A/C. If they didn't give me but one option it would have to be A/C. Keep all the other power options but I cannot sell the idea to the SO) of a car without climate control.

Can you imagine owning one in LA, MS, FL, GA, and other "swampy" summer environments? The Alcantera Leather seats will soak up the perspiration nicely.

Tom
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

That is why these look so appealing.

http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.n...L?OpenDocument
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Don't power windows actually weigh less than manual these days?