Thread: Using a GPS to Find Speed Traps?

Using a GPS to Find Speed Traps?

ok I have a GPS which is cool, but I found this online and wondered if it works like it says it does, basicly you down load poi maps that are updated as needed. when your moving around in your car, it 'alerts you' to 'known' speed traps and traffic cameras.

Sounds cool ( I want it), does anyone on here use something like this? I think there are a couple of sites that do this. this is the one I was looking at.

http://phantomALERT-review.blogspot.com/

I've got a Garmin that's about 1 1/2 years old. The custom POI's work great...you can set them to give you an alert at a distance or even a speed. I don't use them for speed traps, but have things like all the Porsche dealerships in North America, national and state parks, bicycle trails, strange roadside attractions, all the restaurants reviewed on Diners, Drive-In and Dives...that sort of thing...

I've seen sites such as these...how good they are depends on how complete the information is and how up-to-date they are kept.
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera

I also have a Garmin and subscribe to their real-time traffic conditions which I find invaluable. If you subscribe to one of their real time products you can also subscribe to what they call "safety camera" locations/updates and it will alert you before you approach one. I don't use it so I can't tell you if it is effective.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

The iPhone has an app tied to GPS where people log a speed trap, which then alerts other drivers in the vicinity. If a second user confirms the trap, its degree of confidence goes up. Don't know if they have an app to slap people who nefariously cite bogus locations - but there otter.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell