Thread: 73T - First Drive in a year after refurb with 2.7RS power

73T - First Drive in a year after refurb with 2.7RS power

Well it finally happened, I picked the car up from Tuthills on Friday 13th November and drove it home in pouring rain :-(

However, even on this slow paced and dark night drive of just 25 miles, I can feel the car is just so much better than when I last drove it a year ago plus in September 2008.

I have replaced and upgraded most of the suspension and brakes, and had a 1975 2.7 Euro 210bhp Carrera engine and gearbox swapped in, so you would expect it to be different :-)

I did then get to give it a dry run on Sunday, but had my wife with me so nothing too fast. The suspension works a dream, and soaks up the bumps and potholes of UK minor roads a real treat - a total transformation.

The Carrera engine is much more torquey than I had imagined, with a good spread of power and torque across the revs in all gears - the overtaking torque in fourth gear from say 60mph is great. I am no expert, but the car is now a really tight and pleasent drive, with the only disappointing thing being the engine sounds just like my 2.4T on webers - I have a new standard Dansk exhaust so that probably expalins it.

Overall I am delighted, and whilst I still have lots of little things I would like to do to the car, as these things are never finished, I can almost feel the itch for a new project :-)

As an aside, I have also sold the 1975 Euro Carrera chassis (the engine is in my 73T) to someone that is going to restore it, so that is also good news.

I need to get out and bed in the brakes properly, and get to know the handling, so will look to do a track day in early 2010 - before then it will go to Bob Watson for a good MFI setup and dyno report run.

I really need an expert to drive the car to give constructive feedback, as I have never driven an RS or similar so cannot really compare the car to another, but I like it very much.

Ian
    Ian Highfield
    1992 964 C2 manual with RS Spec suspension and Sports interior - midnight blue - SOLD
    1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
    1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD

Ian,

I would like to hear what you did about the suspension. We have some pretty rough roads here in NEW England, too, and my California transplant car is a little too jouncy for our winter battered Massachusetts roads. It is lowered, with Konis, 26mm rear torsion bars and poly bushings on the rear spring plates.

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom

Do a search on my username (Highfield) over on Pelican and DDK and there are tonnes of posts and pictures :-)

Tuthill specification re-valved bilsteins
    Rear Bilstein Sprints
    26mm rear T-Bars
    SAW spring plates
    ER polybronze all round.

Feels great

Ian
    Ian Highfield
    1992 964 C2 manual with RS Spec suspension and Sports interior - midnight blue - SOLD

Ian,

sound similar to my setup except for the revalved bilsteins. stock hds for me. what size/style rubber?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe

I have 6X15 Fuchs all round with Vredestein 205/60 X 15 rubber.

Would like to go 7R in the rear, but $$$$ for me.

Ian
    Ian Highfield