Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood pops open 1968

Hood pops open 1968

Recently, I have had the problem of my hood popping open while driving. I wonder if my lower latch is worn out.
    The tension on my cable is adjusted to the fully closed position (where the two holes align with the nail as shown in the photo). The latch starts to move open open immediately when I pull on the release handle inside the car. (Possibly too tight???) I have adjusted the upper latch mechanism from left to right the fraction inch as allowed by the design, I have screwed the upper bolt up and down trying to find the right position, I have stretched the spring on the upper bolt, the spring on the lower latch seems to be quite strong. I even got a used lower mechanism off Ebay, but it looks just like mine as far as wear is concerned, and I had the same problem after I installed it.
    I can close the hood tightly in the garage, rock the hood from side to side, pull up very hard on the hood, and it won't release, but after driving a few miles and hitting a few rough spots in the road the hood pops up, (caught by the safety latch thanks)
    Attached are photos of my latch and the rubber hood stops that were put on by the body shop that painted the car. Can anyone tell from the photos if my latch is worn too much and how about the rubber stops. Are they OK for the car. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to spend $170 each for new upper and lower latches. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Those stops are screwed ALL the way down. Try dialing them out a little bit and see if that doesn't solve the problem. You want them to compress slightly when you close the lid.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Those stops are screwed ALL the way down. Try dialing them out a little bit and see if that doesn't solve the problem. You want them to compress slightly when you close the lid.
    Ditto. These things need to make contact but NOT hold things up.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

There are two places where wear will allow a pop-up. One is the crescent-shaped piece you show, and the other is the plunger itself. If the edge that catches on the plunger is worn, the normal movement of the chassis under load can work it loose.

I've never seen hood snubbers like that. The ones I've seen are much taller. They seem to primarily serve to keep the hood from 'walking' as the chassis flexes. As mentioned above, be sure they both make firm contact.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I'm going to assume your '68 latch works on the same principle as the later latches. If so, the cable adjustment has a sweet spot which may not necessarily coincide with the factory pin alignment holes.

Loosen the cable adjustment screw. While looking at the movable latch, move the link arm back and forth through its range. You'll see the latch move toward and away from the center. Adjust the cable-to-arm length so the latch sits toward the center as much as possible. That's the position that provides the most engagement of the hood pin. Other positions provide less contact w/the pin.

Hope this helps,
    Sherwood

Hood pops open 1968

Thanks for the input. I don't think the hood snubbers are Porsche parts. They were put on by the shop that painted the car and probably came from Autozone or Advance Auto and they won't screw out very far. This may be the problem and I will get some Porsche stops ASAP.

Where the adjustment holes line up is the "sweet spot" maximum closed on my latch and I did have it adjusted there, I'm just wondering if so much is worn off the crescent it won't stay latched in the plunger.

From the attached photos, can someone give opinions on whether the plunger and/or the crescent piece is worn out?
    Do I have too much crescent shape worn in? I don't remember how they looked when new. What about the 45% slope angle from the top side of the crescent? Is that wear or is that slope normal? If the crescent piece is worn, couldn't I remove it and weld an extension and file to the original shape? (If I knew what shape that was)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hood poping open

The general cause of the hood poping up under general driving....is ....give me the envelope please.....opening the envelope....the plunger pin is too tight.

Learned this when autocrossing.

Loosen the post by about 1/2 turn and give it a try. If it still pops - loosen another 1/2 turn. And replace the corner levelers at the dealer. Snug fit is what your looking for at the corners.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

After putting up with my hood popping up every 70km or so Ib tried Bob's half a turn, & BINGO 450km on our shocking rural roads & not one pop!!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    The general cause of the hood poping up under general driving....is ....give me the envelope please.....opening the envelope....the plunger pin is too tight.

Loosen the post by about 1/2 turn and give it a try. If it still pops - loosen another 1/2 turn. And replace the corner levelers at the dealer. Snug fit is what your looking for at the corners.
    I am having a similar problem with the hood opening when I drive the car and think that Bobs solution will fix my hood latch. I tried to adjust the hood latch pin but it would not turn. I thought that the large nut located where the latch pin meets the latch in mounting plate may be a lock nut so I tried loosening this too but it is either very tight or permanently fixed to the latch mounting plate.... any tips would be appreciated?
    Cheers
    Graeme

993C4S
    911 '73RS recreation

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post

Thanks Bob for this tip. I performed the above then went out on a 689 mile test drive without the hood popping on big bumps. One-half turn made all the difference.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com