Thread: Morning Run in the bush

Morning Run in the bush

Woke up to a boiling hot day with nothing on (nothing to do, i mean ..)
    So fired up the Tangerine car and went on a 150 mile run.

I live in Chatswood which is 14 minutes from the centre of Sydney, so to get out there's a 20 min M2 freeway north-west, then 30 min though the Hills District, and on the Old Windsor Road. A stop at BP, then an immediate Right Turn towards Pitt Town, and you're away for the day !

Pitt Town is on the Hawkesbury River , and was one of the original planned settlements outside Sydney, along with Richmond, Wilberforce, Windsor and Castlereagh, known as the five 'Macquarie Towns'. These towns were set up by Governor Macquarie in 1810 on higher ground after the region had experienced serious flooding the previous year. Whilst it's grown a bit now, it seemed to start slowly ... with only 36 houses on the townsite by 1841.

Through Pitt Town and on towards Wiseman's Ferry, the ferry being the only way to cross the Hawksbury for many many miles. Still working, 24x7, ... though they had a 1/2 hour break just after i crossed for the annual "water ski" competition !
    Long line of cars ... well, about 15. Silver and Black cars only ... tangerine stands out a little i think !!
    Plus 15 motorbikes. These are hugely popular 2-wheel roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Morning Run in the bush (2)

Successful crossing of the river is one thing. But the most important is (as ever positioning). IE .. position coming off the ramp and onto the other side. Don't want to get caught near the end as it means a totally frustrating next 20 minutes gradually overtaking as the terrain allows.

Joy though, despite being in the middle of the queue, i landed up parked behind the bikes , which zoomed off first. A cheeky manouvoure my myself (sorry Kombi ) and i was in front. Because virtually the only cars on the road have come across on the ferry (there is a 'dirt road' for 32 km coming from the other direction ... which i admit i mistakenly took once with my brother in the green T ... never again ! ... and there are a few houses along the road ) ... it means a clear run for the next 35 miles to "Central Mangrove". And so it was !
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e

Morning Run in the bush (3 - last)

Coming out of the bushland, and to some dual carrageway, but hardly any houses, farming country up here. Another 9 miles of fast wonderful driving, hardly any traffic. Too soon ... though 3 hours into the trip so far ! ... we turn off onto the F3 freeway for a 40 minute run home back to Sydney. A chance to use 5th gear again (which - fyi - is not the most comfortable gear on a 915 in Right Hand Drive ... as it's right over to the right .. and into one's left thigh !

and we're home !

Thanks for reading !
    Paul

that last picture just reminded me.
    That side of the car just had a bit of work done on it:
    - door - couple of inches replaced
    - front wing, patched
    As you can see, it had got a bit nasty
    Pics attached
    Paul

Thank you for an excellent photo story!
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

outstanding write up and pix, we usually took the dirt road but then the Jeep would like it a bit more than your Porsche!!! we usually went up through Dural though rather than all the way out the 2.

we're definitely overdue....

Cheers
    Kev

Paul,

The old Wiseman's Ferry run.

To quote an old TV ad - "why didn't you call?"

Lovely pics

Justin

Thumbs up

GREAT pics Paul............
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109