Thank you, Marco for both your responses. What I don't get, then, is the different shape of the "ears". I only have my '72 to go by, but looking at the ears side-to-side in my first pic, the ears on the left ('72) has a large cut-out area under the left ear, so that when the ear is locked,i.e., turned to the right, the trigger pin misses the ears completely. When I installed the "new/old/used" (the one on the right in my first picture) lock mechanism on my car, I could get it to lock by moving the ears to the right, but the outside door handle would open it right up because the trigger pin pushed directly on the part of the "New" ear that doesn't exist on the '72 model "ear". So I'm just assuming that is the difference in the types. I claim no great knowledge of these things and defer to your experience, in fact, I really hope you are right and I'm just making more to this than I need to. All I know is besides the attachment of the pull rods, somethin' don't seem to be right. I'm waiting for another mechanism to arrive and I'll post results. Thanks again.