Thread: 72 Wheel Spacer Sizes

72 Wheel Spacer Sizes

I have a 72 T and I would like to bring the front wheels out more towards the outer wheel well lip for a better appearance. I am only asking about the fronts because my plan is to try and fit 7s onto the rear. I am currentlly running the stock 15x6 Fuchs with 195/65/15 tires and those would remain on the front. What would you guys recommend for a spacer thickness? Eye balling it, it looks like a good inch of clearance inside the wheel well. Yes, I tried the "Search" feature, but all the threads seem to address the use of the 7R wheel and SWB cars. Thoughts?

I wouldn't use more than a 8mm without changing the studs. Even then I don't like the feel of the thread engagement. What you can do is use the bolt to bolt adapters. We frequently use 17mm but you should be able to use up to a 21mm depending on your tire buldge. Easy enough to measure to the lip and subtract about 6mm. Check for interference to the lug nuts if you use the adaptors.
    H

Harvey is the true professional here, but I wanted to let you know that I did this to my 1970 S. I added the spacers thinking the wider track would make the handling better and look a bit better. It did the opposite for the handling. It made the handling much less direct and I took them off right away.

Harvey, is that what is supposed to happen?, or did it happen as I did not have a new wheel alignment done, or for another reason?

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Scope Creep Poster Child
    John-
    Did you just do the front spacers, rear, or both?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Hey Scott:

I am pretty sure the rear spacers were already on before I tried the fronts. I had so much going on at that time with the car that I have lost track.

What are the differences?

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

John, what I failed to mention is the cars that we put on spacers are ones that we widen the 6s on the inside to 7s. When you add spacers to the wheels without adding to inside the handling will suffer. Even if you use regular 7s you are not adding to the distance from the strut line you are adding to the outer only. The car will actually turn in better with the 7Rs close to the strut as possible than the 6s.
    ..........There is always a trade off just ask the guys with 245s on the front about steering.
    H