Thread: '66 911 Handling

'66 911 Handling

I recently purchased a '66 911 with the original 4.5x15 steel wheels. Tires are stock 165-15 size but an unremarkable brand (Nankang). I had heard that the original size wheels/tires made for vague handling compared to modern performance tires, and this seems to be so. In strong winds, it's a bit of a handful. I've had a few 912s with 60 or 65-series tires that tracked with much more confidence. I do like the softer ride that comes with a taller sidewall, though.

I'm considering a few choices to improve handling while keeping a stock appearance, and I'd appreciate your opinions.

1) Replace the Nankangs with a decent tire such as Vredestein, keeping the stock 165-15 size.

2) Go with a 5.5x15 steel wheel with the 185/70-15 Vredestein to keep the same rolling diameter.

3) Go with the 5.5x15 wheel with a 185/65 or 195/65 tire, of a brand to be determined.

Your comments, please!

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    I have the Vredesteins 185/70 (on 6's).
    Nice tire.

My car was a wanderer, then the suspension was redone and lowered and corner balanced and now she is stable.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I wonder whether the presence, or absence, of the cast iron weights in the front bumper would make a difference.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    I wonder whether the presence, or absence, of the cast iron weights in the front bumper would make a difference.
    Yes to the weights in regards to stock tire size... otherwise rotation is noticeably quicker with somewhat vague steering at the limit; not a good thing. Also helps stabilize ride, making it less choppy over uneven surfaces. Lowered a bit with stock bushes, the 165 Vredesteins on stock 4.5 X 15 wheels make for very entertaining handling, as Porsche's engineers intended.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    Mine had the weights before the rehab and still do - so it was not the weights that made it handle (noticeably) any better or worse in my case.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606