Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does original '66 tacho work with CD ignition ?

Does original '66 tacho work with CD ignition ?

Hi,
    I have had some completely conflicting advice about this issue and am looking for someone who really knows what they are talking about. I hope this is the place to find such advice.
    So far what I have had on other forums is lot of opinions but I haven't been able to determine who is correct.
    The question is - Does an original '66 tacho work with an CDI ignition system or MSD ignition system ?
    My tacho hasn't been working since I bought my '66 911 and I need to have it repaired or replaced. Problem is I haven't had anyone in Europe yet say they can repair it and guarantee that it will work with a CDi or MSD ignition. My car has an MSD 6AL ignition with tach adaptor triggered off std points.
    Something I have received conflicting advice about is if the original '66 Tacho must be modified to work with a capacitive discharge ignition systems and if so what needs to be modified.
    HELP me PLEASE !!!

No it will not, I have been there done that with a 67 tach. I suggest since your tach is not working and your going to replace/send in for repair you contact/google up North Hollywood Speedometer or Palo Alto Speedometer both will repair and set up internally for CD, MSD. You are looking for "someone who really knows" these guys do.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

MarkS is absolutely correct. I just purchased a '66 911 that had the same MSD ignition and tach adapter installed by a Porsche shop. To make the tach adapter work, that shop also removed the original '66 tach and installed a tach from a '68, which accepts the signal from the MSD tach adapter.

The '68 tach has white numerals and looked out of place in the dash, so I found another '66 tach and sent it to North Hollywood Speedo for the necessary conversion. Once the tach is converted, you no longer need the MSD tach adapter, so you remove it from the system.

My only issue is that the converted tach is very sluggish to respond to variations in RPM. I called NHS and they said that they evidently "overdamped" the movement, and offered to fix it if I return it to them. By the way, despite that one glitch, NHS has been first-rate to deal with. Very knowledgeble and courteous service, something you don't always see nowadays.

Good luck!

Thanks guys,
    North Hollywood name has come up is several of my previous enquiries. Feels like a long way to send my tacho both ways across the Atlantic to sort it out, but it does appear from comments that North Hollywood do the business. It is a shame that no one in Europe seems to be able to do this work as Iam just a little concerned about the low posability of loss/damage to the tacho on route.

It is good to have confirmation that the '66 tacho will definitely not work with a CD system.

If anyone knows of somewhere in Europe who can do these repairs/mods then that would be very helpful

Thanks
    Andrew

There is a ballast adapter used on 1969 cars with Bosch CD. This allows use of a pre mid 70 tach with Bosch and [I assume] MSD CD boxes. If you know what they look like you can find them in Samba and Pelican parts for sale. No one talks about them much and Ive never seen one offered by itself.

Hi 66S,
    Are you saying that there is a 'bolt in' part used in '69 cars that had CDI that would allow me to use my std '66 tacho with a CD ignition like the MSD system ? (I have a MSD tach adaptor that sorts out the multispark issue anyway)
    Do you know the part number ?
    Regards
    Andrew

You may also want to contact Clewett @ www.info@clewett.com . They offer a "tach amplifier for use with early high voltage tachs". The only problem I see is the unknown condition of your tach, if it's tits up no add on will help. Maybe plug it in a friends early car to test.
    Early 911S member #166

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    You may also want to contact Clewett @ www.info@clewett.com . They offer a "tach amplifier for use with early high voltage tachs". The only problem I see is the unknown condition of your tach, if it's tits up no add on will help. Maybe plug it in a friends early car to test.
    Thing is, I can get a std repair done on my Tacho fairly easily in the UK froma couple of suppliers. Are you saying that Clewett can supply a 'bolt on' device to allow a std '66 Tcaho to work with a CD ignition system ?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by amallagh View Post
    Thing is, I can get a std repair done on my Tacho fairly easily in the UK froma couple of suppliers. Are you saying that Clewett can supply a 'bolt on' device to allow a std '66 Tcaho to work with a CD ignition system ?
    Andrew
    I'm not saying Clewett can supply, merely suggesting you contact them and ask. They list what I posted which MAY solve your problem. A simple E-mail to them will get you an answer.
    Early 911S member #166

Thanks Mark, I'll do that