Thread: Adjustable Spring Plates for a 1971 911S

Adjustable Spring Plates for a 1971 911S

Hello,

I want to put factory (911SC) adjustable spring plates on my 1971 911S so that I can have it corner-balanced easier. I do not want the Sway-a-Way style or the quick-change. I see a note on some of those products (Elephant Cambermeister) that they are only for use with the Aluminum trailing control arms.

Can I use factory 911SC adjustable spring plates with the steel control arms on my 1971 911S? I cannot fit the Aluminum arms without a new crossmember into my car. One of the great quirks of the 1971 model year.

Thanks for any info.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Max-
    I installed SC spring plates on my '70 - no issues, direct bolt up.

What makes you say you need a new crossmember to install aluminum arms? I've got a pair sitting on my workbench that will be on the car soon, as long as I haven't overlooked something. John Goriup has posted pretty extensive information about his install. Isn't his car a '70 or '71?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

I agree, why can't you use the later arms with your LWB crossmember?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I agree, why can't you use the later arms with your LWB crossmember?
    There were some detailed threads about this a couple months back. You "can" as I have them on my 71 however, there are major issues with shock geometry. There are facts in that thread that shouldn't be overlooked. There are clearance and rubbing issues with the shock bodies themselves and the heat exchangers. You can modify the arms to help clear the heat exchangers however, you will still have a shock body interference problem with the crossmember. The pictures are worth 1000 words.

The AL arms are best suited for 72 and later chassis'. I'll still contend that it's one of those mods that I wish I wouldn't have done. If I had to do it again, I would brace my steel arms ala RS arms and be done with it. (Scott, let me know if you have some steel arms laying around after all is said and done. When I switch over to the MFI 3.0 I may be interested in putting my arms back the way they should be.)

That said Max; I "believe" you can use the springplates you're asking about on your arms. Check for more answers but I recall being told that was possible when I was considering it. edit: just read Scott's post more thoroughly... looks like that's a definate "yes".
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Hi,

In case it helps it can all be done. SC adjustable plates are a bolt on fitment but space behind the adjustment nuts is tight but still works fine. I have AL arms on my 71. To use on pre 72 cars you need to machine the boss where the lower shock bolts to so the bottom of the shock returns to the correct position. This is all due the upper cross member (where the top of the shock bolts to) changing position in 72.

HTH

Alan

Thanks for the responses. My mechanic also said today that the SC spring plates will bolt on fine. He has a car that will be donating its rear seat metal for a good cause and I have my eye on the spring plates.

The threads about the Aluminum arms and crossmember/shock issues are the same that Neunelfer mentioned. It "can" be done but needs some work to function properly.

Thanks for confirming the SC spring plates work with steel control arms. That will make the corner balance much easier.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

this is a great (and cheap) upgrade for exactly the reason you mention Max.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!