Thread: 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi - new arrival

2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi - new arrival

Last week the dealer called to let me know my special build TDi had arrived. I have to say I am very pleased by its fit and finish. I am especially partial to its new look.

It's no race car with a 0 - 60 time of 9.4, but I still enjoy the kick when the turbo cuts in (no comparison to my 300 hp 20V turbo Audi, but its not that kind of car.) Since I have been out of the new car market for several years, I was happy to see that it came with traction control, electronic stability control, and some other electronic car control nanny (all of which can be deactivated).
    The scenic-cruiser sunroof extends past the back passengers, like on the Minis.
    It corners well on 17s with Sport Pilots, even without suspension mods (yet). However I just spotted a Borla cat back muffler for a few extra horses.

Think I found a good parts hauler. And since money is a object, of course I will enjoy the 42-47 MPG (what my '09 Jetta sedan was getting). Enjoy the gray on gray PNW pics. (I am thinking of displacing the black Audi at the Monterrey Treffen with it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Nice ride Rick. 42-47 mpg...wow.

What is it about black labs that whenever you pull out a camera...there they are.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

They're all camera-whores. They take to cameras like they do to water.

Unless there is snow, hope to see you on the New Year's day run.

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I have a black 2009 TDI wagon. It is a great car but I have not been able to get higher than 42 MPG which was accomplished on a long trip averaging 70mph. I average 35 to 38. I think the issue is my heavy right foot. The car cruises easily between 85 and 90 and scoots around corners. I love the auto transmission. Very responsive in the sport mode. My only complaint is it came w/ 17" low profiles. They are inadequate in snow. I should have gotten the 16s. I wish they would put this motor in the CC. It would be my next car.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Mr. Macroni,

Glad you are enjoying your car too. I will be looking into Blizzaks for trips to the ski hill. Thanks for the advanced warning.

My 47 MPG was achieved by truly babying the car, and keeping it at or below 60. The state patrol are pretty good and making you mind your manners on our more busily traveled highways at rush hour. Yes, at 70+ the MPGs really fall, but hey, 36 still isn't all that bad at 80. Since I reserve my heavy foot for the 911/914, getting 42-43 'combined' with the JSW, is not really a problem.

Speaking of the state patrol and rush hour; one of the few times I drove the 911 to work, I was on the interstate minding my own business when a plain vanilla Charger comes barreling up behind me at sits not more than 5 feet off my bumper. I move over to the right, and he moves right with me just as close. I move again, and he moves too and just sits there. I am tempted at this point to put my right foot into it to get some distance. Just before I do, he pulls around me, and lights up aonther guy passing both of us doing 80. Here they drive unmarked Impallas, Chargers, Tahoes, Volvo station wagens, and I even saw a Hyundi light some on up. I instead chose to get my tickets by really earning them rather than with a piddly 10 over.

BTW, I got the 6-speed manual since stop and go is not an issue.

Regards