Thread: To cool or not to cool...

To cool or not to cool...

I'm considering adding a front fender-mounted oil cooler to my car, since the temp gauge often tickles the 215 degree mark while driving here in SOFL during the hot summer months.

2.4 with MFI, no A.C. - street driven only.

I'm leaning toward Elephant Racing's wide mouth Carerra cooler kit.
    If anyone has first hand experience with this cooler, please share your comments regarding product quality, performance, longevity, etc.

Secondly, what "real world" results - in terms of reduction in degrees - should I expect to achieve by adding a cooler?

Thanks,

Frank
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Just one man's opinion, but I don't think that it's worth it. A temperature of 215 is nothing to worry about. Have you checked to see that your engine mounted cooler is clean?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

At 215 F as a normal oil temperature reading for your car, I'd say you are at the very edge of what you can get away with.....but that opinion too is only one man's credo.

Installing a "radiator" type oil cooler on a '72 with a BLOWER fan arrangement ( i.e. a fan mounted ahead of the cooler in ambient air temperature that pushes air through the cooler as opposed to pulling it through the cooler) should drop your oil temp in the 10 to 12, maybe even 15 degree F range......providing you modify the area to maximize airflow to & through the cooler. Just shoving a cooler into the fender and not accomodating it properly will most likely gain you 5-8 degrees....if you're lucky, and that is not worth it.

I assume you're talking about the '72 in your signature, and I further assume it has the standard rounded early front bumper with fog light openings, not a "winged" steel S front bumper.

If my assumptions are correct then here's what I would do:

1. Remove the front bumper and cut away the fog light cover bracket behind the opening on the passenger side.

2. The Passenger side battery box is really a major impediment to airflow to an oil cooler mounted in the right front fender. I would cut it away and reweld the outside vertical portion of the batt. box to seal the battery box stub. That raises two points you need to think about.

2a. Your present battery arrangement, and are you willing to change that aspect of your electrical system.
    2b. do you have now, or are you planning in the future to mount through-the grille lights on the car, ( happy to help with photos and additional information if the answer to either point is affirmative).

3. Ducting air to the cooler is very important, otherwise effectivness of all the work will be severly compromised.

As general comments to your inquiry:
    * 215 F or thereabouts is probably too high for comfort and engine longevity. It's not critical yet at that point but you have virtually no "headroom" left for higher temps.....and yours is a magnesium engine.
    * Yes, the Elephant cooler is an excellent unit, but no matter which unit you choose, mounting it correctly and getting adequate airflow to the oil cooler will be far more important than whose cooler you buy.
    * A stock Carrera cooler will work just fine, and you can purchase the big bits from Porsche only salvage yards ( EASY, Partsheaven, 20th Street Autoparts). Most of the brackets, connector lines, thermostats, are all still available new from Porsche.

PS: as a pure aside, there's a third alternative: an RS fibreglass front bumper with centrally mounted oil cooler and custom made ducting. 15 degrees F cooler for sure, maybe more, no need for a fan or removing a fender and modifying the battery box. It's the most efficient, quickest and simplest way to have cool oil.

Good Luck
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Forgot to mention

Thanks, forgot mention that the front bumper is a steel S bumper. I'd rather not get involved with switching bumpers, so, do I stand to gain anything from adding the fender mounted cooler?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Well, a '72 requires unique oil lines - either factory ($$) or Elephant (different appearance). Then there is the cooler - either factory '72 or later Carrera. Provided your gauge is accurate, I wouldn't go cutting up your car or even sourcing the parts if 215 is your hottest number. Most folks think 180 should be max, but 200-210 is what most racers aim for and they are the ones pushing the limits. A fender cooler will drop temps about 10-20 degrees, and the lines account for at least half that.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Temperatures

215degF is around 100degC and I think this should be an upper limit.

The bearing outlet temperature will be about 30deg C hotter than the bulk oil temperature and I think that this is where damage to the oil can occur.

I have always thought that 90 degC (195 degF) is a healthy figure and should be aimed at and controlled carefully.

member #1515
    2.4 MFI , in Florida definitely needs a cooler. On european cars this was not an option. I have a 28 tube cooler on my 2.7 with a/c here in tx and on the road this keeps me under 200 in the summer. Stopped in traffic is an other matter. I want to put in the factory cooler instead with a fan. That is my suggestion if, this does not cool you enough I would then pursue some of the suggestions for ducting as above if necessary.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Re-hash of a cooler installed by a mechanic in Florida. This worked and worked well. The car is a '72-S with a 2.7 conversion. A/C car.

The cooler is where the oil tank would be on any other 911 from the period before or after the '72. Fit was nice and it cooled very well.

Once owned by a member here.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111