Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lug nut life?!

Lug nut life?!

Is it true that the old 911's have magnesuim lug nuts and that they should be replaced every 10 years? I thought they were aluminum lug nuts, and I've never heard that they have a shelf life. I have heard that you always hand tighten them and never use an air gun on them, due to the metal being soft enough that you can strip them easily.
    I ended up getting a set for $50.00 out of concern, just wondering if I got rope a doped. Thanks guys.

I only replace them for cosmetic reasons when they get banged up.

They are Aluminum and I hand-thread the lug nuts to start them, then final torque in a star pattern using a beam-type torque wrench.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

If you are going to use alum. lug nuts, I recommend coating each stud with a small quantity of Never - Sieze compound. It will help to achieve a true torque reading, ( no air tools ever, tighten by manual torque wrench only ) and will prevent galvanic reaction.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

And check the threads too to make sure they arent galled x2 on anti seize.Btw race sanctioning bodys and thesports purpose manual do not allow use of the alum nuts for competition.

Thanks Guys, you confirmed that the lug nuts are aluminum and not magnesium. Magnesium seems like it would be way too brittle to take those lateral loads.
    I didn't know that aluminum lugs weren't allowed for racing though. They are OEM for the car, right? They went right onto the hubs without any sign of binding, the threads are good. I'll make inquiries here at Sport Haus, they certify you for the track out here at Fernley.

AL lug nuts

Hot brakes from racing create problems getting the lug nuts off.

member #1515
    What is the Torque setting on them?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I use 94 lb-ft. on my Aluminum lug nuts.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

If you use anti-seize, you have to raise the torque setting to account for the additional slip. The reported torque values are for dry, unwaxed, and non-lubed. I would add 10% additional torque for anti-seize use.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    If you use anti-seize, you have to raise the torque setting to account for the additional slip. The reported torque values are for dry, unwaxed, and non-lubed. I would add 10% additional torque for anti-seize use.
    Uhh, that is exactly the opposite of correct.

When you add any lubricant you reduce the surface friction, which allows you to put more preload in the fastener (stretch) before the wrench clicks. Think about it like this-- which would click sooner, a torque wrench on a lubed bolt/nut or a rusty one? Of course the rusty one has more resistance and will click sooner with the bolt elongated less.

So with lubrication. . . LESS torque than specified. For lug bolts, which are 10,9 property-class and there are FIVE of them- I would stick with 94 ft/pounds and call it cool.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen