Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Y-alloy heads? Your 2.4S has 'em

Y-alloy heads? Your 2.4S has 'em

On a head trip gents and gals,

We've learned that Y is for "Yttrium" and this was used to add temperature robustness to the heads. Does anyone have any documentation that these were, in fact, unique to the 2.4S? Some suspect marketing department hype, i.e. that all heads are made from the same material, that is T, E and S? Below is from the factory WorkShop manual and is ONLY found for the 2.4S ((not 2.0 or 2.2 or std 2.7) (and RS in the same manual)). Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting. It would seem that the casting number would be unique if a different alloy was specified.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Casting number

I believe, but and not sure, that the casting number is:
    911.104.307.1R for 2.4S. But, the S would should, regardless of material, have a different casting number as the the ports are bigger than the T and E. So, a different casting number alone will not really indicate a different material. We need more "proof." Interestingly, folks who "play" with these, apparently, haven't noticed any material (pun intended) difference?

I'd also like to get a confirmed 2.7RS, BTW, as I believe the chamfer on the head is different than an RS. Can anyone confirm or dispute?

I have a set of 2.2S and they are:
    911.104.307.0R

We need to confirm the 2.4S Casting number and THEN, HOW and IF they are, in fact, a different material from the 2.2S or other heads.

-Allen-

Well, we could look for some junk heads and take them to a University or something where they could put a sample of the metal through a mass spectrometer. If only...

As we are flying around

Y-alloy: one of the first use was in Aircraft engines. Yes, you guessed it. In the heads, which of course, were aircooled!

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    We've learned that Y is for "Yttrium" and this was used to add temperature robustness to the heads.-
    I might mave missed the thread, but what is meant by "temperature robustness"?

Is it alloyed into the aluminum alloy?

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1972 911S Targa Paint to Sample Cocoa/Tan Leather (# 0836)

Other Early:
    1974 Carrera SR Coupe (USA) GP White/Tan Shetland Cloth/Gold "Carrera" Stripes
    1971 911T Coupe Tangerine/Black (Destroyed in fire at Porsche Shop )
    1968 912 Coupe Irish Green/Black

When In the "Dark" Side:
    1988 944 Turbo S Alpine White/Gray (1 of 481 Turbo S's Imported into USA)
    1991 928GT Guards Red/Spec Order Gray (1 of 85 GT's Imported into USA for 1991)

Current Daily Driver: 2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Yttrium is alloyed with Aluminum and Magnesium to make the metal more stable throughout a range of changing temperature. Similar to adding silicon, Yttrium Aluminum alloys have less change in volume due to heating or cooling than does pure Aluminum.

Allen

Looking through some of the heads on my shelf, It seem like the switch to Y alloy may have been made with the 2.7 heads.

The attached pics show various heads with and without alloy markings.

The 2.2/2.4 E and S heads look to be identical with no alloy marking.

The 2.7S through 3.2 Carrera heads (including the SC heads) are clearly marked with a "Y" in the upper right in the photos. The 3.3 turbo head also shows an alloy marking for the unique alloy used in the turbo, in the same location.

I don't have any 2.7RS heads but all of my sources say that the 2.7RS head was the same as the 2.4S head.

The pics in order of appearance:

1. 2.2/2.4E
    2. 2.7S with "Y" alloy marking
    3. 2/2.4S
    4. 3.3 Turbo with "RR350" alloy marking
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Great info.

Tom, thanks for that great info.

I know there is a 911.104.307.1R head and I think, in fact, it was the 2.4S, which would have been the same as a 2.2S EXCEPT for a Y.

-Allen-