Thread: Polishing scratches out of windshields?

Polishing scratches out of windshields?

I recently picked up an older (early 70s I think) Sigla clear windshield that was a take out at the dealer. It's in excellent shape (no pitting whatsoever) but does have a few scratches that are neither deep nor casual.

I've been told about a product called Rare Earth by Sommaca that will remove these.

anyone ever done this? technique? equipment? other products? also heard of using toothpaste.
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Shaun, I think the Rare Earth is a brand name for Cerium Oxide. That is what glass shops use to take out minor scratches. I am currently looking for a local supplier to get this from, but you can google it and get numerous suppliers online.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Thanks Scott, cerium oxide added to the search.
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

I am very interested in learning about this, the technique, results and risks.

I went onto hightechglazing.com and typed in cerium oxide. I found it, but do not know if this is the product you guys are referencing.

Let's keep this thread going as I think it could be an asset to all 911 S Registry members.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Some new information. After some web research, I contacted Caswell Plating (caswellplating.com) as they sell a cerium oxide kit that includes a drill mounted buffing pad.

They advised that this will work very well for scratches that are not very deep. For deeper scratches, they advised I should start with an 800 grit sandpaper used in a circular or orbital motion. It is probably best to do this application on a low speed drill. They then advised to go to a 1000 grit paper using the same motion. After that, they advised to use the cerium oxide with their buffing pad. They claim it will come out great.

I am fine with the ceriium oxide use, but the sandpaper idea scares me a bit.

Has anyone done this?, and what was the result?.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Great info John, thank you! I think I've got at least one spare windshield that is "junk". Might be a good use of it to scratch and then test sanding. I've worked with 500 and 1000, 1500, 2000. I think I would skip the 800 and just start with 1000.

Lot on my plate these days, something to look into in February.
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462