Thread: Compressed Air Bottle

Compressed Air Bottle

In the past few weeks a vast amount of compressed air bottles for the space saver tire have been sold on this board. These things tend to be expensive and probably of no use that just decoration, since the bottles are to old to refill. (and probably to dangeroud to use anyway)

Strolling through some oldtimer 'parts for sale' sites, I stumbled onto a similar bottle of another german car maker. (Opel Kapitan) I bought it for just 25 euro's and had it powder coated to make it look presentable. It was missing the air tube, but I replaced that with the one that was in the small plastic tyre pump from our baby stroller

I think it turned just out fine and good enough for using on a Rgruppe type car or what ever replica car you are building. So it might be something to watch out for if you want a similar item. (Just sharing some info, since I get a lot of info from all you guys, not intending to sell mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    =========================================
    2.4T 1972 Targa - Tangerine German Delivery Ölklappe
    2.4T 1973 Coupe - Golden Green 911ST with 2.8 MFI TwinPlug
    1.7 1970 914-4 - Hell Elfenbein Weiss to be Sonauto GT with a Six
    Looking for engine #6522576
    Rgruppe #674

Just a few more pics
    Rgruppe #674

Alex,

that's a very nice find. Looks indeed really good to use on an R gruppe car, I like it

Talitho

Why do you say the old ones are too old to fill and too dangerous?

I would think if they have been sealed up all these years and do not have any internal corrosion to speak of and the exteriors look fine....there really should be no problem using them.
    The metal would not just go bad with age.

How high air pressure do you need to put in these air bottles anyway?
    I was thinking somewhere around 150 psig.

Just curious what your thinking is.
    Thanks

ps: your bottle looks great and is a wonderful alternative

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    Why do you say the old ones are too old to fill and too dangerous?
    The bottle and valve is garanteed for 10 years of opperation/exchange. These dates are stamped into the bottle itself. Most gas service stations will not fille the bottle after these 10 years. I suppose they have a reason for that? The same type of bottles are used for brewing your own beer, filling air guns and filtering fish containers/aquariums. I've read a storie of a larger CO2 bottle that dropped and cracked the valve on top, causing the bottle to become airborne and prying itself into a wall....... I would not like to try that on the front hood of a 911

I would think if they have been sealed up all these years and do not have any internal corrosion to speak of and the exteriors look fine....there really should be no problem using them. The metal would not just go bad with age.
    Its not the metal I would worry about. It's the valve I'm worried about. Not sure if it contains any rubber parts, but mine make a squeeking sound if I turn it (it's empty now) Imagane what happens if you fill it up with liquid CO2 and it starts leeking badly. It could cause burn injuries if you would be to close.

How high air pressure do you need to put in these air bottles anyway?
    I was thinking somewhere around 150 psig.
    They are filled with liquid CO2, the exact amount is stamped on the bottle (0.23Kg in my case => 1 gram = 0.0353 ounce) You can buy similar bottles for yor home beer brewry here: http://www.bierkranen.com/webshop/in...detail&id=5259

If anybody has any experience in refilling and actually using thes old bottles, I'd like to know......... I would be great to use in stead of the compressors...
    Rgruppe #674