Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn Grille Advice

Horn Grille Advice

Hi All

I was hoping for some advice on the repro horn grilles vs restoring original... I have my car's original but pitted horn grilles and am wondering if it's more effective to just go with new reproductions?

Can anyone comment on the quality etc... of the plastic and metal repros available - or would I be happier getting the originals re-chromed?

The car isn't concours or a garage queen...

Cheers
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

From my experience the reproduction metal grilles from Performance Products are pretty good pieces. And, they're reasonably priced.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Hi John,

Here's what I've experienced....

The chrome repops don't fit quite correctly. They're a little narrower than originals.

I sent my originals to a chrome shop here in the States, and they quoted me $600 to fill the pits and re-chrome them.

So, I found a decent pair of used originals on e-bay for $75 and they suit me just fine.

Good Luck,

Frank
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I fully concur with Frank's observation, in fact all the repro grilles I've tried and looked at are between 3/16" to 5/16" narrower than OEM.

Having stated that, if you replace both so one replacement doesn't permit comparison to an original horngrill, the only indication is that a little more rubber seal strip behind the grilles is visible. Big deal, especially for a driver. I submit it's entirely up to you whether that's acceptable or not.

There is a third alternative beside buying chrome repro, or going broke re-plating your pitted originals: last year at the LA Lit show I ran into a couple of gentlemen from Atlanta with a booth and many interesting NOS items (2nd or 3rd isle from the right as you enter). I purchased from them the most perfect set of chrome-plated OEM horngrilles for '69 to '73 cars I've ever seen, still in their original factory boxes / wrappers and with factory part numbers....all for what I considered a quite reasonable price.

If you are lucky maybe they'll come back in March. I'm sorry I don't recall their names or Company name.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thanks Gents.

I am having some rear bumperettes re-chromed (sans rubber strip), and I'll get a quote for the grilles as well. If the quote isn't killer I'll get them done also.

Cheers
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

If they don't specialize in pot metal restoration; RUN!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    From my experience the reproduction metal grilles from Performance Products are pretty good pieces. And, they're reasonably priced.
    Could you give me a link for Performance Products please. I`m in the UK and a Google search doesn`t throw up anything obvious.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

John,

I got some repo's from Stoddards, and am not happy with the fit.

No matter how much tweaking i do i can't get them to line up with the line of my hood without sitting on the lip of the fender, and then you have horn grills that sit proud of the fender... To answer your question

I'm getting my originals re chromed.

Tony

Thankyou Chuck. Have many people ordered the metal horn grilles from this company... how are they ? seems a bit odd they are cheaper than the plastic versions.

Mike.