Thread: Tire Recs for Street, Wet, and Track

Tire Recs for Street, Wet, and Track

Am currently running on thin SO3s on my narrow hipped 911 based in Seattle. I would like to replace them with another street tire which works well in the wet, but also has some grip for the track. Can opposing worlds exist in the same universe? They are currently 205/55/15s on a lowered suspension. Severe curb cuts, small branches in the road (yes I live in the sticks), and slow furry animals have a way of making nasty noises and scraping sounds.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The "wet" rubber compounds (and "snow") are going to be softer than summer rubber so that should work towards good lap times but fewer laps. They will also fall over the peak of the grip performance curve sooner in high temperature work. How much track work are you going to do compared to the rain you expect to see on the street? The tread pattern will be the main factor in the balance between wet grip and track grip.

Tread wear will be poor using "wet" tires in the summer on the street as well.

By the way, I do not have a very helpful opinion. I am using Advan A048s but never drive in rain. You can see, hear, and feel them wearing away every mile you drive. But they stick like glue- in the dry. Wet is still fun, though.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Last spring I put a set of Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions on my bone-stock, narrow-body 70T. They're 195/65-15 to fit my 15x5.5 steelies; car is lowered to approximately Euro height. I scored a set of 15x7 Fuchs to refinish and mount them but I'm torn between using them or finding some wider steelies (maybe chrome?), as I think the 195s are a bit wide for the wheel. I know they're available in 205/60-15 as well.

Anyway I digress. Not long after I got them I got caught out in a sudden downpour; the tires worked very well in the wet, with very predictable responses. I got caught out in a couple more thunderstorms last summer and the RE960AS delivered repeatedly. I try not to take the car out in the rain but I know now that with these tires I can feel a little more confident when I run into a sudden shower.

I've not tracked the car so I can't report on their suitability there.

Hope this helps,
    Ed
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

member #1515
    in my experience, just about anything bridgestone is very good in the rain. Michelin and Pirelli are not as good. I just switched from S-03 to re-11. They feel very sticky in the dry and in the light rain i've experienced to date. It hasn't rained hard since i've put them on.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs