Thread: gas heater muffler

old softie67S

gas heater muffler

I have installed one of Damon's new exhaust pipe and muffle to tmy Webasto gas heater. The pipe exists the pan through a 2 to 3 inch hole. The pipe is about 3/4 in in diameter.There is a large gap around the exhaust pipe and the edge of the hole. I have been searching the PET to see if there is a grommet , or seal for this area but can't seem to find what I am looking for. I found a couple images on the site, one with a gap like mine and one that appears like there is something there. Anyone know if I am missing a part?

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

I don't believe there is a grommet of any kind . . . would burn up given the exhaust temps. PET does not show one nor have I ever seen one. . . it sort of shocks the conscience that they would leave an open hole on the bottom of the smugglers box where rain and salt can get in. . . that said, the hole in mine was pristine, I think they used lead around the edges to prevent rust.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

old softie67S

Thanks John

It seems so bizarre to leave an open hole like that, but I was struggling with what material could have been used to close it. Thanks for the PET search. I couldn't find it.

Thanks again

Tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

This ever get answered?

I never see the under-side of one of these installs --- only the gizmo in the smuggler's box . . . or the thing listed on the Kardex/CoA

Any pics to share? --- anybody . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Just installed this from AASE yesterday…there was a removable 'plug' that covered the large hole, so I removed it, drilled it, slipped pipe through, reinstalled it, and sealed it with black Hi-Temp RTV. I have no desire to ever fire the thing up, but as a fresh-air blower it is very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Brian

What is the plug made of?

Thanks

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Just installed this from AASE yesterday…there was a removable 'plug' that covered the large hole, so I removed it, drilled it, slipped pipe through, reinstalled it, and sealed it with black Hi-Temp RTV. I have no desire to ever fire the thing up, but as a fresh-air blower it is very nice.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I love these shots.

Hints of Brian's project... yum yum. Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Happy Monday