Thread: 902 1

902 1

Hi Guys,

I have a complete very rusty 66 912 I've had several years, that actually belonged to a college professor of mine back in the day.Anyway it has a 902 1transmission. I understand that these were 65 and 66 year only 5 speed transmissions? Are these worth any more than a standard 901 tranny? I am having a 915 box rebuilt and need a core to avoid a nasty core charge. Should I keep the 902 1 and find another core?

I tried to buy the car back then but my offer just joined the pile of notes left by others trying to buy it in the floor board ....maybe the 912 would have survived.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Leonard

I'd be interested to know the VIN of the donor, the serial # and casting dates from the transmission. The 902/1 came in several serial # series. What is the core charge they are asking? I could be interested in the transmission; where is it located?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

The early transmissions up through mid 68 were sand cast aluminum - a far stronger case than anything made thereafter.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Thanks for the responses.
    I will get the numbers off the tranny and the VIN on the car.

They want $800 and the 901 box for a core charge on the 915 I am having built. They normally charge $1500 core on the 915 box.

I could probably come up with another 901 box I just don't have any 915 boxes lying around.

The car is located in Arkansas.

Thanks guys,

Leonard

Wow, that ($700) is a high core charge. I have a lot of core 914 trans. They can usually be obtained in your area fairly cheap. Even a 915 core should be less than $1500. Where are you located? Where is the transmission being built?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Wow, that ($700) is a high core charge. I have a lot of core 914 trans. They can usually be obtained in your area fairly cheap. Even a 915 core should be less than $1500. Where are you located? Where is the transmission being built?
    Car is in Arkansas, Rebuilder is Vertex in Miami. They are selling me a 915 with LSD and they have been good to me before.

Leonard

Save the box. Call Gary Fairbanks.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

What does Gary charge for a rebuilt 915 with LSD? Anyone know or have another / better source for rebuilt trannys? I don't have a 915 to rebuild.

Thank you,
    Leonard