Thread: loud when coasting

loud when coasting

I replaced the rear wheel bearings and CV's / half shafts about two years ago. It sounds like one or the other is going bad. Just a continuous noise coming from back there when coasting. Is it common for either of these components to go bad in such a short time period? Can the bearings be lubed? could it be something with the tyranny (hopefully something easy like low fluid).?

Sigh

It's a good thing I like working on my car as it's always something.

Chris
    73 911 E

Does the pitch change when coasting if the clutch pedal is depressed? You could have a throwout bearing issue....they can howl pretty good.

Good point. I did not try that. It's loud to the point where a passenger commented on it, with the clutch out in nutral. Always loud when in gear ;-)

Chris
    73 911 E

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
    Good point. I did not try that. It's loud to the point where a passenger commented on it, with the clutch out in nutral. Always loud when in gear ;-)

Chris
    73 911 E
    You can help isolate the noise source by shifting into neutral while coasting. If the noise goes away in neutral, it might be a gearbox/differential issue. In neutral, it could be CV joint(s) or wheel bearings.

Try the above with the engine OFF as well. Make sure the steering wheel and brakes are functioning in this mode.

Sherwood

Also, a wheel bearing on it's way out will sometimes heat up so check the hubs of the wheels for heat differences from one side to the other.

BTW, when I meant with clutch depressed I meant if you're coasting in neutral try depressing the clutch to see if the problem goes away, this will also help isolate.... pretty much what Sherwood said, just trying to help further explain what I meant...

e

Dragging parking brakes, maybee?...

Before you start ripping it all apart...start to reverse very slowly...apply the parking brake "a little"while reversing ...this might "center" the p.b shoes (in the rear) so they don't "drag"..it's worth a try!.../ Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

If while accelerating or cruising at a steady speed the noise goes away or lessens alot then comes on when you lift off the gas to coast, it could be ring and pinion

I don't mean to hijack but I have what seems to be a very
    similar issue. Coasting straight I hear it, veer slightly left and it
    gets louder, veer slightly right- it goes away completely.
    What do you think of that?
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Believe it or not, I had a road speed noise, did all the wheel bearings and trans bearings to no avail. Then rotated the tires front to back and noise gone. Worn tires can make noise. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I don't mean to hijack but I have what seems to be a very
    similar issue. Coasting straight I hear it, veer slightly left and it
    gets louder, veer slightly right- it goes away completely.
    What do you think of that?
    Hi Alan,

That one sounds like either a wheel bearing issue or perhaps a tire problem.

Easy and relatively cheap fixes no matter what,....
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com