Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: value help needed

value help needed

Hi all, I am looking at a less than perfect 71T and would like some opinions. This car needs a lot of work to be put back to original, but it can be done. The question is, is it worth it. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the engine, no PPI or leak down info. As you can see, someone pimped this thing out in the past, but it could be reversed. Zenith's have been changed to Weber's. I talked to the owner before the current one and he said the interior was like this when he bought it. He owned it for over 12 years. He did a window out paint using lacquer 10+ years ago. He put in a new dash then, unfortunately,it was not the correct one. I have not been able to get any good pics of the pans/boxes but have been told they are solid. Heard that story before. Anyhow, you can clearly see what is needed to the car to make it whole again. The question: is the price good enough to mess with it. I offered $8K, he is at $11.5K. What are your opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

22 views and no comments?

Pimped out, yes. Reversible, yes. But lets look at what it will take. Door pockets are not cheap, if these are not salvageable. I would consider the engine a core if you have no data and should estimate a $10k budget minimum to have it done right and reliable. Paint, if original color, will be minimal (bumper and rear tail removal).

I do not think the dash is replaced, but rather a dash cover. Notice the 3 screws near the windshield? Also, look at the gap next to the clock on the close up. New dashes if found are $1000 and up. The car has the S trim package, which is a plus, but not a lot of value added compared to the rest of the "upgrades". Does it have fog lights? I noticed that he has maintained the correct keys with key pouch.

Tool kit, is it there and is it complete? Maintenance records?

If the car is solid, no rust 8k would be deal maker for me. But not 11.5k.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Unfortunately the PO has lost the folder from the last 12 years. Car has 84K miles and is substantiated by titles from PO according to seller. PO says he spend about 20K on the upgrades to the car, paint, new rubber, Webers, he pretty much left the interior alone. said he paid 12 for the car and he put 29 in to it for all the wrong reasons to make it look like a "new car" to impress the girls. then just stopped driving it. i think the car would be a good candidate for a R car sort of hot rod style. go with RS door panels, RS seats, which would be less than trying to cover the originals, period steering wheel, get rid of the whale tail of course, go back to the original bumper if available, light weight carpet, that sort of thin. Hot rod with taste. then just dive it and sell it to mke was for the next one that cones along. it looks to me that most of the work needed on this car is cosmetic stuff to take if from a sso car to a no. 2. oh yea, don't forget the sport exhaust.

value help needed

Unfortunately many people think that the value of their car is determined by adding up all their receipts. Most of us know that is not the case. It doesn't really matter what the current owner has spent on his car, it only matters what the market will pay, and it's nowhere near what he has in it. I agree that that car would make a nice driver candidate, most of the work as you mentioned, is removing the bordello interior and fighter plane wing. If the engine is reasonably sound, and the bottom is as unrusted as claimed, I'd agree that in the $8,000 to 9,000 range would be a good buy then follow through with your plan to make a nice driver. Problem is convincing current owner that he'll never get what he wants for it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Can you guys that know more than me chime in. Here are the pics the guy sent me of VIN's. I have not received any other VIN confirmation. Do these look normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It really all comes down to rust. I would guess you're going to find quite a lot when you start digging - I know I did.

Here is the story of my 71T - a very common story.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...storation.html

If you find rust, you're looking at a lot of expense - less if you do everything yourself but more if you use a shop.

If no rust - I think it would be well bought at $8k and you'd have a fun project putting it back together. You'd be able to do it slowly over time.

Engine and chassis number are correct for a 71T
    1982 PCA club racing #372 D-Stock
    Registry #1595

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Can you guys that know more than me chime in. Here are the pics the guy sent me of VIN's. I have not received any other VIN confirmation. Do these look normal?

That is the scariest chassis re-stamp I've ever seen...

Engine is a '71 US-911T...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    That is the scariest chassis re-stamp I've ever seen...

Engine is a '71 US-911T...
    It definitely does not look like others I have seen. Guy claims it is the same as the title. I have requested he send me other pics of vin plate and A post.

I'd pass...