Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '04 gt3

'04 gt3

There is an '04 GT3 F/S here in NJ for $68K. It's at Ray Catena.

Looks real nice and babied(doctor trade in for an '10 GT3) with 11K on the clock. Red/Black and all the toys.

Is is worth it(listed at $125K new) or are these a depreciating pile of speed?

Anybody here have one?

-
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

I don't have one but been keeping track of the 03/04/05 GT3 and 68K is a bit high even with 11K on the odo. I would price it around 55K and if lucky maybe 58K.

With the 997 GT3 going for as low as 75K with 12K miles I'd say 04 is just going to drop lower but really really slowly.

996 gt3

Love this car.

Driven several. Except for a heavy clutch --- and what's gotta be about the stiffest street-car body-shell I've ever been in --- these things are pretty tame to tool around in. Goofy dash, and feels kinda 'big' the first time you drive it. But comfortable leather interior, AC, radio, cruise, etc --- looks and acts like a very nice, civilized, adult, up-market sporty car.

But . . .

. . . Ears back, claws out --- the 996 GT3 is just about the effin' fastest, most capable thing I've ever punched a hole in traffic with. If you wanna know how Superman feels when he puts on his cape, then drive this car. 192MPH will never feel so accessible --- or be this cheap. As much as I venerate Porsche's 'classic' 911S, the GT3 will probably be their ultimate street car . . . before hybrids and global-warming kill-off monsters like this.

I would tell anybody who's contemplating the purchase of any vintage Porsche product . . . to drive a 996 GT3 before you buy. If a genuine full-blown 'classic' vehicle, already recognized and prized by drivers and collectors, is what you're after, then vintage is probably the safer choice. But, for that kind of money, if you want all-out performance and day-to-day functionality . . . and you can wait a few years for the world to catch-up with the value of this remarkable car . . . then get a 996 GT3.

Prices have been hovering from ~$50k, for cars with higher mileage, to ~75k, for practically new cars. Most cars trade in the mid-50s to mid-60s, and prices seem to have been holding steady for the last year or so. But you could spend more money tarting-up a 'T' to look like some old race car. And it'll never ever ever do +190MPH.

Prices may go lower, but Porsche only built 900-some 996 GT3s; they'll go up eventually. And I think the 997 version is just a bit 'too,' especially in the Ringling-Bros RS version. The 996 car isn't exactly pretty . . . but it has a real live mechanical LSD, and the only electronic aids are the ABS and an engine manager: no PSM, no PASM, no 'dynamic engine-mount' nonsense (c'mon -- WTF?), no 'sport chrono' crapola.

Just a nice, simple, straight-forward, 190MPH car . . . for starting around $50k.

Even if you don't like the 996, or any water-cooled Porsche . . . drive this car.

If I hadn't found my car when I did . . .

But. A 996 GT3 will sooooo be my next car. (Dark grey, Euro fixed-back buckets, console-delete, single-mass flywheel, Cup air-box . . . hhhh )

Enjoy your choices.

We Can Be Heroes

I had a '04 gt3 for about 2 years, great car, but as you say, depreciating asset now. $68K is way too much; I'm thinkin' $50k is a good number. I actually like my '89 slant nose turbo a LOT more....and it's faster. MUCH faster....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I and my buddy bought halves in one in 1998 - UK car only 40 coming in supposedly, speed yellow and bleeding quick. Once more started to appear we sold it - I believe it was moded to look like a GT3R for the road. 911 & Porsche World ran some articles on it - looked good but got well used.

I'd not have a license if I hadn't parted company with it, the only problem was it was very low so the front splitter got a little thinner than factory !
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . .
    But you could spend more money tarting-up a 'T' to look like some old race car.
    My T is a tart..... what will my mother say?

Seriously, I agree 996 GT3s are a literally a screaming deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I agree with all. I love my 996 GT3. I paid $63,000 for mine about 6 months ago. No doubt it will go down as one of the all time classics in due time. Research all the magazines (Excellence, 911 & Porsche World) etc.. and you will see many camparisons to the 73 RS. Basically the GT3 is the most basic "hard core" 911 since the 73 RS and the last. The current GT3 are getting very cushy with all the electronic crap. Pretty soon the GT3 will morph into something like the Nissan GTR that basically will drive the car for you. My suggestion is to snap up a nice clean one and enjoy her! Probably the bargain of the car world right now!

There have been plenty of hard core 911's built between the 73 RS and the GT3. The 964 RS and 993 RS come to mind (not available in states unfortunately). I agree the GT3 is a terrific car and damn tempting at current pricing.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I think this car sold for under $58K. I am not sure, but I did not go for it.

-
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

Asking is $49,900

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1584635149.html

30,000 miles looks good. I always worry how they end at non-porsche dealers.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"