Thread: 15x7 and 8

15x7 and 8

My buddy has a 78 911 SC with some "weld - up" 15x7 and 15x8s. The centers take the three prong cap and the part numbers show they are 6 inch Fuchs. The car originally came from Switzerland. Is there a reason to keep or sell these wheels instead of letting them go with the car?

The date codes: Rears ( 8 inch ) are both 3/72
    Fronts (7 inch ) are both 12/72

All have the 15x6 stamp.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

It depends. Real three-prong 7's are fairly common, but not hanging from trees. Real three-prong 8's are the rarest of the rare and worth big bucks. It took me about a year to put together a set of five date-matching 7's. Interestingly, the date stamps for the 7's seem to be clustered on just a few dates: 6-72 and 3-73 come to mind. I have been looking for a pair of 8's for years. Looks like the welding was well done. How is the trueness?
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

Widened "Flat" 6's

Given those date codes, they should be flat sixes, and thus would not have the deep appearance that I think is part of what makes the true 7 and 8 x15's so desirable. I'd let them go, don't think they are anything special.

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Ah, let them go, and buy yourself a pair of shoes that actually match!

As far as trueness goes... I have driven the car quite a lot. My buddy just returned from a 2400 mile trip. I have not had them checked but they seem excellent. I only noticed they had were old when I saw them without their center cap as one tire had a flat.

Thanks guys for the input.

Leonard

Is it just me, or is that one ugly wheel?

Nice looking welds, though.