Thread: what is this hose on the airbox?

what is this hose on the airbox?

my other airbox from 1969 doesn't have the connectors or hose shown in the picture below. Is this a spark arrester or what and why do some have them and others don't. Also does it connect to anything in the engine bay?

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That hose is connected to the brass spraybars above the stacks for the cold-start mechanism found on 1970 and 1971 MFI E and S.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I had that set up on a 70 E Targa, it had been disconnected. The gentleman that bought the car from me reconnected it against my advice and car burned to ground a week later.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

My 70 with Zeniths also has them. The spray bar really helped with the cold start but I have disconnected them as all the cars we did at the dealership in the 70s. I saw many burned up, most to the ground...
    H

not quite to the ground

I'm the lucky owner of a sweet 3.0 Euro Spec that didn't melt. The picture shows the Carter AFB carburetor adapted to the intake manifold of the engine which Harvey had carefully kept in his bone pile for a number of years.

The motor cranked for less than 5 seconds, fired, blew a puff of blue smoke and idled perfectly!!! Harvey installed the engine in my 73-911 and save for one small but scary incident has run perfect.

We used the 2.7 CIS off my blown motor. Most opined that it wouldn't run correctly. A morning up hill test run to determine if enough fuel was being delivered nearly ended the engines life. Near the top of the long up grade, pulling like mad in 5th I checked the temperature gauge and found it heading past 300!!!

In a huge cloud of smoke I made it the few miles home, still running and parked it. Next morning it fired right up but ran a little rough. We pulled the motor and found wire insulation burned everywhere AND the engine oil cooler temperature valve stuck closed. 34 years old...whatca expect??? Check yours if you get around back there.

Thanks to Red Line the motor was fine...the oil is good to 2400 or so degrees...another good reason to run synthetic oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association