Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidelines for pre-purchase inspections

Guidelines for pre-purchase inspections

Now that Chuck is (understandably) deleting another thread, it might be useful to begin to exploit everyone's experience to create a recommended scope for pre-purchase inspections.

Suggestions - only a start:

1. Print description of vehicle offered for sale. If there is later a problem, the poster can delete the original description and were litigation to be necessary, it could prove difficult to prove mis-representation.

2. Verify PPI shop with independent third party, and preferably confirm that inspector proved qualified on previous inspections.

3. Many of us possess astonishing knowledge about parts of our cars and, sometimes, ignorance about other aspects. Because a compression check is encouraging doesn't mean the car hasn't sustained significant crash chassis damage.

4. Where one is relying on the reputation of a seller, make sure the deal has a reasonable cancellation provision should serious pre-existing problems surface within seven days.

Just a start, but with the combined wisdom and experience of the Board, we should be able to create a really useful and thorough protocol for evaluating cars purchased through advertisements here or elsewhere.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

+1!!!!

Local members might also be asked if they could also help to a look as well, or supply shops in the area to do the ppi.

Might I also suggest we set up a faq of good independent shops?

cheers,

e

+1

Erik beat me to the punch. I agree 100% with Steve's ideas and Erik's FAQ for shops.
    I'm around and always willing to look at things with the "rose colored glasses" off.

BTW and FWIW: Transparency is a good thing. Fair dealing is too. It's not hard (or it shouldn't be).
    A good friend of mine (who is a lawyer) writes some of the best e-bay copy you've ever read. He points out all boogers and is very forthright about condition and the fact that you need to be happy with your purchase.
    He will refund money in a NY minute but hasn't had to because his ads are always spot on the money. AND, an added benefit (to him) has been the fact that he regularly gets more money for things than one might think they would bring. Imagine that?

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I think the 356 Registry set up a couple of things similar to this at one point in time, and had a mailing list for it. They also have a "travel list" of people willing to help if you break down while on on the road. It would list your address, and what you would do for a fellow 356'r, and what parts or you were able to provide, or trailer, etc. I was on it years ago when I lived in LA, and again when I moved back home to Seattle. Pretty simple to set this all up now I would think here, rather than mailing lists....

Pretty good ideas...

hey Chuck!?

The 356 Travel Assistant Network (aka TAN) can be VERY helpful. I've been a member for 10 years and ALWAYS carry the list when I'm on the road.

PPI's can be tricky. Some shops specialize in metal and body work, some in mechanical - it's tough to find somebody who will/can REALLY investigate both AS IF THEY WERE BUYING THE CAR THEMSELVES...
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by steven0401 View Post
    Now that Chuck is (understandably) deleting another thread
    Steve, I read thru and posted on that entire thread. I don't think that it should have been deleted. I think the facts that Eric posted were valuable information FOR ALL.

I was VERY SORRY to read what happened to you on your purchase. Making all the facts public could help others avoid being ripped-off on long distance purchases.

I guess from my own personal experiences I can only urge everybody not only to have a PPI done, but have one done by somebody YOU KNOW AND TRUST. I've found that if at ALL possible, it's best to FLY TO THE CAR with your own mechanic/body person ETC, and inspect the car yourself. I know it can be a major pain in the butt, but the alternative can be far worse. Why roll the dice???
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Thumbs up

These are both GREAT ideas......

The Travel Network would be a lot easier to set up then the PPI stations at this point....

In honesty a Travel Network is one of many suggestions that has been made before by Erik and others... but now I think there's the will and support to put it together....

I will bring it up to the other Registry Advisors ASAP then start a new thread and ask for suggestions for a simple format ... then input from as many willing would be participants as we can get........... particularly East of the Rockies. Then suggestions on where this info is published and to who.......

Remember this will be member's contact information for some or all to see and use according to how we (the Registry and you) ultimately decide...

My first thought for distribution would be to paid Registrclub member's in a data base PDF like the yearly Registry Roster Fred Trueman mails out now.

Cheers and thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Travel Registry

A Travel Registry is a terrific idea.

Would it be possible to make one as a iPhone app?

BMM MOA (Owner Group) has the "Anonymous Book" they publish for members. This is the motorcycle owners group.

FWIW, here is the description:

"The famous BMW MOA Anonymous book. Published annually with updated material, this book lists BMW MOA members who are willing to aid and assist (as indicated) in cases of emergency or just sociability. Listings are coded by phone numbers only and indicate degrees of services, abilities, parts, etc. available to BMW MOA riders requiring emergency help, simple directions or just a hot cup of coffee with a smiling friendly face attached. Over 12,000+ members are currently listed and as a BMW MOA member you will discover the Anonymous Book as an invaluable security blanket and an absolutely safety tool when touring anywhere, anytime."

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman View Post
    I've found that if at ALL possible, it's best to FLY TO THE CAR with your own mechanic/body person ETC, and inspect the car yourself. I know it can be a major pain in the butt, but the alternative can be far worse. Why roll the dice???
    And yet... you didn't follow your own advice did you?

E