Thread: What to paint where on a SWB -68 version???

What to paint where on a SWB -68 version???

Hi,

I am soon to paint my 1968 2.0S SWB after a sheet metal restoration but I am not sure on what to paint where... The colour will be "Blutorange".

Does anybody know how the cars were painted orignally? E.g. was the car painted completely in "Blutorange" or were some parts painted in black (e.g. hinges to hoods and doors)?

What about inside the coupe, the bottom part (below) the chassie, inside the fenders, etc?

Were there any special items in black, e.g. (I heard that some models had black paint on the seat fixtures.)

What colour should the instrument be - black or also "Blutorange"?

Finally, does anybody know about an URL where it shows?

I would appreciate any comments

Thanks in advance

Mikael

Thread 314668 has a lot of the information you're looking for.
    Alan

Hello Mikael,

We are just starting the full restoration of a RHD 68 car and will send some pics if it helps. The panels on the car are all original and look to have never been previously removed. The shell is rusty hence the full strip and resto.

eg dash top area

This is the date the car was painted in the factory and also the scribble is either the painters signature or the colour (or a mix of both)

Thanks

Alan

Thanks

Alan

Hi,

In case it helps here are some of the doors stripped today. These have never been apart before and thus in very original. They show the hand written dates on the inner section of the door cards. These are one day later than that written on the dash (ie when it was painted in the factory). So one day painted (with the doors on the car) and the next doors fitted up. The door blacking (inner) was applied) by brush once fitted.

HTH

Alan

I have posted a similar request....looking to find out what areas are painted black, and what areas are body color?

Thanks
    Todd Rudaitis
    Orange, CA

www.rennprojekt.com

I am restoring a 68 912 which should be similar. Just to clarify, my 912 was built at the Porsche plant, one of 427, and seems to be a little different than some I have seen that were built at Karmann. My car appears to be very original as well. Here is what I have found.

Trunk and interior black from body Schutz as last coat.
    Body color only minimally over lapped into trunk.
    Trunk and engine hinges black.
    Not sure on the engine compartment, but is looks to be the same as the trunk.
    Interior is similar as well.
    Doors look exactly like the pics above. Also, appear to be hand brushed.

Just to add my own experience:

• Schutz was applied to the body first over bare metal.
    • A mask of about 30mm was left around the inside edges of the trunk, where the fasteners are.
    • A further mask below the level of the windows was used, there is no schutz up in the roof.
    • Under the dash, the schutz extends almost to the gauges in the trunk, and almost all the way to the gauges in the driving compartment.
    • The schutz stops at the front fender joining panels and does not cover the area where the antenna would be (both sides).
    • Other than that, everything in the trunk and engine compartment is schutzed.

Following the schutz, the body color was applied. I have found body color overspray on top of the schutz inside the car.

Finally the semigloss black was added, on the dash, doors, by the shifter, parking brake and the seatbelt receivers in the back.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen